Burning in a WD Red in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Dabbler
I recently purchased a few 8TB WD easystore hard drives. I don't yet have a FreeNAS system built that wont happen until Q1 or Q2 of 2018. I plan to shuck the easystore drives for use in the NAS, but I wanted to burn them in and return them under warranty first before building the NAS.

Since I don't have a system running FreeNAS, what can i use to burn in the drive using Windows? I could load Ubuntu on an old laptop if needed, but I'm a Ubuntu noob. What program(s) could I use on Windows to do a complete and effective test and burn in on these drives? Do I need to shuck them, or can the burn in and test be completed over the usb connection?

ethereal

Guru
i'd remove them - quite often the board in the case doesn't let you have direct control of the drives

AND_YOU_ARE

Dabbler
Okay, I'll shuck the drives and connect them via SATA. What do I use to burn in and test the drives before loading them up with data?

ethereal

Guru

ethereal

Guru
windows allows you to test your disk while your computer is running - linux cd means your system is down. 8tb means a long test/downtime

pro lamer

Guru
I use cygwin to run dd commands described in this resource.

To accomplish that I find this for F in /dev/s* ; do echo "$F $(cygpath -w $F)" ; done useful. And I need this:
Code:
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null& pid=$!
$ kill -USR1 $pid; sleep 1; kill $pid
(maybe my cygwin version is old).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.