Bunch of SMB/NFS/mDNS Errors in Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
I just installed FreeNAS 9.10 and I have various datasets shared out over SMB and NFS, and they work, but each time I boot up the console gets spammed with these messages

Code:
Sep  4 22:55:22 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [generate_smb4_conf:1474] Unable to open /var/db/samba4/private/secrets.tdb: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Sep  4 22:55:22 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:66] Popen()ing: /sbin/sysctl -n 'kern.maxfilesperproc'
Sep  4 22:55:22 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:66] Popen()ing: mount
Sep  4 22:55:22 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:66] Popen()ing: mount
Sep  4 22:55:22 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:66] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/net -d 0 getlocalsid
Sep  4 22:55:24 freenas smbd: dnssd_clientstub ConnectToServer: connect()-> No of tries: 1
Sep  4 22:55:25 freenas smbd: dnssd_clientstub ConnectToServer: connect()-> No of tries: 2
Sep  4 22:55:26 freenas smbd: dnssd_clientstub ConnectToServer: connect()-> No of tries: 3
Sep  4 22:55:27 freenas smbd: dnssd_clientstub ConnectToServer: connect() failed path:/var/run/mdnsd Socket:35 Err:-1 Errno:2 No such file or directory
Sep  4 22:55:48 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNSResponder (Engineering Build) (Aug  3 2016 19:22:46) starting
Sep  4 22:55:48 freenas mDNSResponder:   8: Listening for incoming Unix Domain Socket client requests
Sep  4 22:55:48 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_AddDNSServer: Lock not held! mDNS_busy (0) mDNS_reentrancy (0)
Sep  4 22:55:48 freenas mDNSResponder: CheckNATMappings: Failed to allocate port 5350 UDP multicast socket for PCP & NAT-PMP announcements
Sep  4 22:55:57 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 0000000801406D60 freenas.local. (Addr) that's already in the list
Sep  4 22:55:57 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 0000000801407180 7.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) that's already in the list
Sep  4 22:55:58 freenas mountd[1851]: can't change attributes for /mnt/storage/multimedia/tv: MNT_DEFEXPORTED already set for mount 0xfffff800169b4660
Sep  4 22:55:58 freenas mountd[1851]: bad exports list line /mnt/storage/multimedia/tv
Sep  4 22:55:58 freenas mountd[1851]: can't change attributes for /mnt/storage/multimedia/movies: MNT_DEFEXPORTED already set for mount 0xfffff8001ebd3000
Sep  4 22:55:58 freenas mountd[1851]: bad exports list line /mnt/storage/multimedia/movies

Here's /etc/exports
Code:
/mnt/storage/multimedia/tv
/mnt/storage/multimedia/movies
/mnt/storage/plex_data/bran
/mnt/storage/jacky
/mnt/storage/plex_data/jacky  -network 192.168.1.0/24
/mnt/storage/plex_data/jacky  192.168.1.45
/mnt/storage/downloads  -alldirs
/mnt/safekeeping/backups

How can I get rid of these?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can ignore the dns errors. The other errors make it look like your boot device is bad. Reinstall or replace it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brando56894

Wizard
Are there anyway to get rid of the DNS errors? They're annoying. FreeNAS is virtualized in ESXi (yes, I know, generally not a good idea, but I figured I'd give it a try considering the hardware I have) and running off of a datastore that ESXi is installed to (150 GB WD Enterprise Raptor 10K RPM). Also why would NFS and Samba errors be indicative of a bad boot drive?

I only need a VM/Storage solution for about another 6 months until FreeNAS 10 is released. If I can't get any of this to work (everything virtualized), I may just go back to Arch Linux w/Zol and LibVirt for the time being, because I've had a ton of problems over the past few days....

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
To fix the dns errors configure dns on your network. The other errors are saying you are missing system files, so you either deleted them or your boot device is corrupt. This is going to cause all kinds of random issues that can't be explained. Freenas works perfectly fine and I get the impression you don't really care how to fix it and will switch back to arch either way.

Last edited:

brando56894

Wizard
I would like to fix it, but I have always found FreeNAS 9.3 (and probably extends to 9.10) hard to fix since it's built as an appliance (RO FS) instead of a normal installation. I like to get "down and dirty" when I do things, and FreeNAS largely didn't allow that, but I stuck with it because the GUI was useful. After tons of problems with jails and finding out that the virtualbox NIC driver was limited to 40 MB/sec (not FreeNAS' fault), I switched to Linux for all of my duties. Since I have beefier hardware now, I would like to use FreeNAS solely for storage duties and leave virtualization up to ESXi.

The Samba error looks like its related to either LDAP or AD, neither of which I use. I also found a bug relating to it: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2015-May/309199.html

The mDNS error is just saying that it's trying to register something that is already registered, so I don't see how configuring it would remove the error since it's already configured, also this is related to the previous samba error. After a quick google, it seems that mDNS is another name for Bonjour/ZeroConf and not the Domain Name System.

The NFS errors are configuration errors, one is just a permission error (should work if I unset MNT_DEFEXPORTED, but I don't know where to do that, in the share GUI I'm guessing?), and I would imagine the following error about the bad exports line stems from the previous error.

I wouldn't really consider these "system files" since they don't depend on the OS booting up/functioning correctly and are only relevant to the sharing protocols. I just don't where to change them at, I disabled mDNS in /etc/rc.conf but it still runs apparently after a reboot. This is the kind of thing I was talking about before.....

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You're doing this to yourself. Stop using the cli. Everything you change there will end up breaking something at s hiome point. You think your being smart by using the cli but you're really not. If you want to get down and dirty go learn how freenas actual works. I can see that you're trying because you at least tried to search for similar errors.

What does 'testparm' show you? This will check your smb configuration.

brando56894

Wizard
During bootup I noticed that it says that it can't load /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf even though it exists.

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Processing section "[Backups]"
Processing section "[Multimedia]"
Processing section "[SafeKeeping]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

# Global parameters
[global]
        dos charset = CP437