Building from ALPHA requires virtualbox-ose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Just noticed when I tried to run a build yesterday from 9.2.2-ALPHA sources that the build required me to install emulators/virtuabox-ose on to my host system. Could someone point me to the commit that led to this, or explain the process behind this?

Kingedgar

Dabbler
That's for the virtuabox-ose-kmod. I have seen that blow up before. What I don't understand is why I had to have the whole of virtualbox-ose on my HOST system.

J

jkh

Just noticed when I tried to run a build yesterday from 9.2.2-ALPHA sources that the build required me to install emulators/virtuabox-ose on to my host system. Could someone point me to the commit that led to this, or explain the process behind this?

I don't think so... I just built FreeNAS 9.2.2-ALPHA (AKA master branch) on a stock FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE system with only the ports specifically called out in the FreeNAS README installed. No need for emulators/virtualbox-ose. You're having some other problem on your builder.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
Hmm, weird. I will remove virtualbox-ose and try to replicate the problem.

Kingedgar

Dabbler
I did replicate the problem by removing virtualbox-ose here it is...

Code:
root@ibm:~/build/freenas # make release
NOTICE: You are building from the EXTERNAL git repo.
env NANO_LABEL=FreeNAS VERSION=9.2.2-ALPHA GIT_LOCATION=EXTERNAL BUILD_TIMESTAMP=20140322 build/do_checkout.sh check-sandbox
Doing executing target release on host: ibm
Build directory: /root/build/freenas
env NANO_LABEL=FreeNAS VERSION=9.2.2-ALPHA GIT_LOCATION=EXTERNAL BUILD_TIMESTAMP=20140322 script -a release.build.log build/build_release.sh
Script started, output file is release.build.log
+ set -e
+ dirname build/build_release.sh
+ mydir=build
+ sh build/do_build.sh -z

ERROR: VBoxManage not found..
ERROR: Please run 'pkg install emulators/virtualbox-ose' or install from ports.

Script done, output file is release.build.log
*** [release] Error code 1

Stop in /root/build/freenas.

It looks as if I will be doing a fresh install of 9.2 on this box to see if this fixes the problem.

J

jkh

OK, I found it - when Josh added the VMWare image creation to the build, he forgot to update the README to document the new dependency on VirtualBox, since the VBoxManage command is used to create the image (see nanobsd/os-base). What puzzles me is that this is an error rather than simply a "OK, I won't do that then!". NanoBSD still puzzles me in many ways, not least of which with respect to the fact that I *just* built a stock FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE machine, installed the ports in the README (and only those ports - it was a clean install) and FreeNAS/master built just fine. Very strange!

Kingedgar

Dabbler
OK, I found it - when Josh added the VMWare image creation to the build, he forgot to update the README to document the new dependency on VirtualBox, since the VBoxManage command is used to create the image (see nanobsd/os-base). What puzzles me is that this is an error rather than simply a "OK, I won't do that then!". NanoBSD still puzzles me in many ways.

I certainly don't mind having VirtualBox installed on the system, in fact once I did the build ran perfect and it is running on my personal NAS now. I guess we all have to flow with the progress!

Thanks again for what you do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.