building a cheap small freenas to learn how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpherbst

Dabbler
I dont care about data security at all. I have an intel nuc. can i use m.2 sata and 2.5 inch sata together to create a raid 1 mirror? the nuc only has room for one m.2 and one 2.5inch drive.

garm

Wizard
Why bare metal? Why not just run it in virtualbox? You can have as many drives as you wish

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't care about data security at all. I have an intel nuc. can i use m.2 sata and 2.5 inch sata together to create a raid 1 mirror? the nuc only has room for one m.2 and one 2.5inch drive.
If you don't care about the integrity of the data, why are you looking at FreeNAS and ZFS?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Why bare metal? Why not just run it in virtualbox? You can have as many drives as you wish
I would second this. If you aren't planning to put actual data on the system and are just going to do it to learn the behavior of the OS, do it with virtual disks.

however

As soon as you want to start learning about different things that impact performance, reliability, testing failure scenarios - you'll want to build an accurate representation of what you'd do in a production world. And that means either bare-metal or proper virtualization (PCI passthrough of an HBA, physical disks, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.