Build with ssd cache

sammyj

Cadet
Hi all, Its been a while since I've built a FreeNAS server. Here's a list of hardware I'm planning on using:
  • Motherboard - P11C-I/NGFF2280
  • RAM - 2x Micron 16GB ECC - MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6E2
  • Case - Node 304
  • PSU - be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W
  • Boot disks - x2 small m.2 disks - mirrored
  • 3x 4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1
  • HBA Card - Any advice would be welcome
Alternatively, I was thinking about using 1x m.2 and 1x SSD mirrored for boot. Not sure if that really impacts anything.

I've researched using caching disks. Most documentation would suggest that this isn't a good idea. I'm using this system to store video and photos libraries, Nextcloud, NFS shares for Proxmox backups and Kodi files. I don't really need the throughput of a cache on this build. But I'd like to use it as a learning experience, spending extra money on the build isn't a big concern. If I were to do this, increasing the RAM to 64GB and adding SSDs for the cache would be a good move? Also, thoughts on adding an SSD or tow for plugins would be appreciated. The case supports 6 HDs + an additional 2x m2 on the MB.

Thanks for any advice!
SJ

sretalla