Build TrueNAS scale release version from git repo

Muzan

Cadet
Hi,
I wanted to build TrueNAS Scale 22.02 Release version from their git repo. All I could build from their repo was the MASTER branch. Kindly help me to build the release version from their branch. What argument must i give with the make command? I tried to change the current branch and then run the make command, yet it is building the MASTER branch oif the build.

Help required in building the release version with the make command.

Regards

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What you would have if you selected the correct branch is the nightly build (track MASTER) which became the RELEASE version.

Are you unhappy with just downloading the already compiled version? or are you looking to compile a version with some of your own stuff in there and then making it look like it's the official one? (doesn't sound very good if that's what you're up to).

neofusion

Contributor
Are you unhappy with just downloading the already compiled version? or are you looking to compile a version with some of your own stuff in there and then making it look like it's the official one? (doesn't sound very good if that's what you're up to).
That's quite a leap, do you have any reason to think that the intention?

https://github.com/truenas/scale-build has info on how to override the build branch at the bottom of the README.

Muzan

Cadet
I have no intention of that sorts. I am just looking out for the future. I am planning to deploy that in a significantly large institute and I want to ensure that it's truly open source and there is a scope to debug any sort of issue that will come in the future...
This is a standard devops procedure and i don't see anything wrong with it

Muzan

Cadet
That's quite a leap, do you have any reason to think that the intention?

https://github.com/truenas/scale-build has info on how to override the build branch at the bottom of the README.
Can you please explain that in a bit more detail... I am very new to this and still learning . what is the tag that i should give if i want to build the release version. How do i set the environment variable? Kindly forgive me for the dumb questions

neofusion

Contributor
Can you please explain that in a bit more detail... I am very new to this and still learning . what is the tag that i should give if i want to build the release version. How do i set the environment variable? Kindly forgive me for the dumb questions
I know little about it myself but from what I scraped together reading their git-page you set the environment variable TRUENAS_BRANCH_OVERRIDE to the branch you want to build. The available branches are listed on the Github site.

If I were to try it (which I can't since I lack a build environment that is has the dependencies configured) I would try:
Code:
setenv TRUENAS_BRANCH_OVERRIDE "release/22.02.2"
And then proceed as instructed on the Github.

Edit: I spun up a VM with Debian 11 and set the environment variable as appropriate and it started building the latest release as can be seen here:
build.png

I'll leave you to sort build errors after that on your own. :)

Last edited:

Muzan

Cadet
scale_build.exceptions.CallError: 'kernel, kube_router' Packages failed to build
i could not build these packages and it's stuck. should i do some override?

Last edited:

neofusion

Contributor
scale_build.exceptions.CallError: 'kernel, kube_router' Packages failed to build
i could not build these packages and it's stuck. should i do some override?
apologies for the previous msg
kindly ignore
I can't help you with that. My build didn't get that far since the architecture I tried it with wasn't amd64-based.
If you post more of the error message perhaps someone else will chime in, perhaps not.

Muzan

Cadet
Thanks for the help till now man..
Trying to resolve build errors now..

Muzan

Cadet
An update.
Could not build the iso image from git repo of the release/22.02.2 branch .
But could succesfully build it using the stable/angelfish branch.
by cloning the specific branch and then using the TRUENAS_BRANCH_OVERRIDE env variable. Do NOT use " " while setting the env variable.

True nas team kindly look into this issue.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

You'll need to create a Jira account and report a bug. Complaining on the forums doesn't result in communication with the developers.

neofusion

Contributor
An update.
Could not build the iso image from git repo of the release/22.02.2 branch .
But could succesfully build it using the stable/angelfish branch.
by cloning the specific branch and then using the TRUENAS_BRANCH_OVERRIDE env variable. Do NOT use " " while setting the env variable.

Thanks for the update.

If you want to report a bug I suggest you post in their bugtracker: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/NAS/issues/?filter=allissues
They do not typically act on reports that are simply posted in the forum.