Build-in Groups or make your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Convict

Dabbler
I was wondering...

Is there any difference between join your new user to an existing build in group, wheel for instance, instead of creating a new one?
Share/permission type will be windows.

After comparing permissions from different types of groups created nothing was changing. Im i missing something?

My current setup is one user , one pool and a couple of datasets. Same permission set to all of them.

Thank you.

UdoB

Dabbler
Is there any difference between join your new user to an existing build in group, wheel for instance, instead of creating a new one?
Share/permission type will be windows.
For Windows you do use Active Directory - with FreeNAS being the master - don't you?

Build-in system-users are not only not visible in AD - they simply do not exist. Afaik.

I prefere to create users and usergroups explicitly. This way I can create a group "family" and put my family members in there. They would have no idea what a group "wheel" could possibly mean.

In this scenario managing access rights is being done by windows explorer. (And possibly Microsoft's original Remote System Admin Tools - RSAT)

Pitfall: to use this approach you will want to use the normal Windows version called "Pro", not the castrated one, called "Home".

Status
Not open for further replies.