Status
Not open for further replies.

tranced1

Cadet
Hi, I need to rebuild Freenas kernel with commented out

Code:
#device  ahd

in order to use it with adaptec hba.

The problem is that I've never built any kernels before and simply don't know where to start :)

Maybe someone with working envieronment could help me out, or just build the kernel without this device, so I could just load it in my system?

I'am running 9.2-RELEASE-p4.

Any help appreciated.

tranced1

Cadet
Because it is stated by adaptec

3.6 FreeBSD Installation and Setup
o Before installing the HBA driver for FreeBSD, you must build a
custom FreeBSD kernel with the 'ahd' driver disabled. Follow
these steps:

1. ls to /usr/src/sys/<platform>/conf/ (<platform> is amd64/i386)
2. cp GENERIC to MYKERNEL
3. Open the file MYKERNEL, then comment out the ahd option and save the file:
#device ahd
4. cd to /usr/src/
5. Compile the kernel: make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
6. Install the kernel: make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
7. Reboot the computer

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Those steps won't work.

To be honest, if your controller won't work with FreeNAS out of the box you shouldn't be using it. You haven't mentioned the controller you are wanting to add support for, but RAID controllers are pure evil(adaptecs have been evil without exception for FreeNAS). What controller are you considering?

If you have never compiled a kernel before, you are looking at an extremely steep learning curve. You don't compile it the same as FreeBSD. You'll literally have to compile FreeNAS from github, editing it to include your driver. You can't just run a few commands like the FreeBSD instructions imply. FreeNAS is an appliance OS and as such adding stuff isn't wise or even possible in most cases.

tranced1

Cadet
I understand that those steps won't work, I just need to compile Freenas from scratch with this option disabled in the conf file, I was unable to find compiling guide for Freenas.
I am using Adaptec 7805H Host Bus Adapter - It is not a RAID controller all disks are in jbod mode.
Seems NAS4Free doesn't have this option (device ahd) enabled will try it today.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There are no guides for compiling FreeNAS right now. The old guide doesn't work since we don't use sourceforge anymore. And unless you know git inside and out you are going to have a hell of a time recompiling FreeNAS. You're going to be going off the path we all use, and every time we release a version of FreeNAS you won't be able to use it because you are using a customized FreeNAS version. There's no telling if the driver you have is even going to work on FreeNAS at all.

Like I said before though, this is a recipe for problems. I can almost guarantee you that FreeNAS SMART monitoring and testing won't work with that card, so even if it worked you'd be taking serious risks since those two things are primary methods to identify failing disks.

I can't help you much more than this, but I'd *strongly* recommend you find a controller that *is* supported and *does* work with SMART and use that. The M1015 does fit the requirements and works, so that would be my first recommendation.

J

jkh

There are no guides for compiling FreeNAS right now. The old guide doesn't work since we don't use sourceforge anymore.

Actually, to be slightly more accurate, there is a README at the base of the source tree on github which covers the dependencies and the steps involved for creating an entire FreeNAS release. A few folks have followed it, as have I just to make sure it's accurate, and it does work.

However, this is also one of those advanced class things: If you can't grapple with the basics of checking code out from git and building a proper build environment for FreeNAS, as described in that README file, there's no point in even asking the bigger questions like which kernel configuration file to modify (nanobsd/FREENAS.amd64) because you won't be able to make use of the answers. Consider it tantamount to asking how to win at Formula One when you haven't actually driven a car before. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.