Budget 6 bay case in Canada Plus Hardware questions!!!

cabal2000

Cadet
Good day good people. Planning on building a TrueNas PC. Presently running a Thecus N2220 for the past 10 years but starting to give me power issues and I fear its just going to crap out on me soon. Just purchased a Mac Studio which has a 10G ethernet port so why not take advantage of it, so I have ordered a 10g switch and a 10g network card.
Hardware:
-Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK
-16GB DDR3 Ram
-750 CONSAIR PS
-6 various 3.5 HD(s)
-240g 2.5 SSD (main operating system)
-1060 Video card (not sure if I need this but I have it kicking around)

Questions:
-Does the TrueNas software take any advantage of having a this video card installed? Not going to hook up to a monitor, hooking straight to the network when all running.
-I live in Canada, any good recommendations for a BUDGET case that will take the full sized mother board? Not looking for bling, don't care for having LEDS, see through panels etc, unless it is budget friendly.

Thanks guys

Etorix

Wizard
A video card has no use, except possibly for installation IF the (unknown) CPU does not have an iGPU.

The consumer motherboard with a minimal amount of non-ECC RAM is not optimal, but I suppose that this is old hardware being repurposed. So you may have a case already…

Arwen

MVP
Don't have any answers to your other questions, but this is a item of concern, "6 various 3.5 HD(s)".

ZFS prefers matched size hard drives. It can work with mismatched sizes but will use only the smallest portion for that vDev. This is un-like UnRAID which allows those mismatches and gives full size.

For example;

2 x 2TB
1 x 3TB
2 x 4TB
1 x 6TB

If put in a RAID-Zx pool, ZFS would treat the pool as having 6 x 2TB disks. The rest of the space is wasted for the moment.

However, if you used Mirrored pairs, then you would get closer to full usable space, (though at a 50% loss due to Mirroring on top of the mis-matched sizes).

It is highly suggested that new users to TrueNAS or ZFS read up on ZFS. We have an extensive community written Resources section, (link at the top of every forum page). For example, these are helpful for new users before they implement a TrueNAS server;