SOLVED 'BTX halted' when upgrading/installing 11.2 Beta3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy C

Explorer
When attempting to upgrade from FreeNAS 11.1 U6 to 11.2 Beta 3, I get 'BTX Halted' when booting.

This happens with an in-place upgrade or a clean install. I have tried different USB sticks and ports. The same setup can install 11.1U6 without a problem.

FN-11.2B3-BTX-Halted.jpg

D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Be sure to mention what hardware you're trying to use.

Andy C

Explorer
I don't know whether to be sheepish or triumphant but for the possible benefit of others...

This server has an internal USB drive that broke about 18 months ago. Since then, I have been booting fine from an external USB drive.

I was slightly puzzled by the fact that the screenshot listed 'Six BIOS drives' as I believed there were five (4xWD-RED's plus the external USB drive used for booting).

Sure enough, when I listed this list of USB drives in the BIOS, the dead, unusable drive was listed so I permanently disabled that option.

I am now successfully running 11.2-Beta3 and have closed the bug report.

Chalk another one down to idiotic user error :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Was the drive still in the system?

Andy C

Explorer
Was the drive still in the system?
Yes. Please don't tell me the only permanent solution is to get a screwdriver out and open the case...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Depends on the BIOS. I've found that it's best to keep things as simple as possible, since AMI's BIOS is a complete trainwreck and everyone uses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.