Bringing back a server (recovering data pool)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sty

Dabbler
Hello all,

I need some help. So, I had FreeNAS setup before and running great, up to v11. However, after about 4 years the USB boot drives gave out. I had tons of problems with trying to replace and remirror and get the drive up. After some googling I finally got back in, saved the configuration, and set up a new bigger USB drive mirror. I have now successfully restored the configuration and everything is almost as was.

My problem is I cannot get the data volume back. It is an encrypted volume, but I can't unlock it. On the console I get the following error:
Code:
75] Importing <<pool name>> [6057855889092688977] failed with: cannot import '6057855889092688977': no such pool available

On the gui I have the following error:
Code:
Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://<<local ip>>/storage/volume/1/unlock/?X-Progress-ID=ec07a6ae-b091-4dd6-8e3d-3f35fedb949f Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner 39. response = get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response 249. response = self._get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response 178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view 162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in volume_unlock 1190. form.done(volume=volume) File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done 2616. raise MiddlewareError(msg) Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /storage/volume/1/unlock/ Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b'Volume could not be imported: 6 devices failed to decrypt'] 

Sty

Dabbler
More info if needed:

Original configuration:
FreeNAS Build
FreeNAS 11.0-U1
Intel Xeon E3-1241 V3
Asrock E3C226D2I
Crucial 16GB DDR3-1600 ECC
4x Western Digital Red 2TB
2x Western Digital Red 3TB

Before I had 2xCrucial 16GB USB drives, now I have 2xSamsung 64GB USB drives.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello all,

I need some help. So, I had FreeNAS setup before and running great, up to v11. However, after about 4 years the USB boot drives gave out. I had tons of problems with trying to replace and remirror and get the drive up. After some googling I finally got back in, saved the configuration, and set up a new bigger USB drive mirror. I have now successfully restored the configuration and everything is almost as was.

My problem is I cannot get the data volume back. It is an encrypted volume, but I can't unlock it. On the console I get the following error:
Code:
75] Importing <<pool name>> [6057855889092688977] failed with: cannot import '6057855889092688977': no such pool available

On the gui I have the following error:
Code:
Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://<<local ip>>/storage/volume/1/unlock/?X-Progress-ID=ec07a6ae-b091-4dd6-8e3d-3f35fedb949f Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner 39. response = get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response 249. response = self._get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response 178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view 162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in volume_unlock 1190. form.done(volume=volume) File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done 2616. raise MiddlewareError(msg) Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /storage/volume/1/unlock/ Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b'Volume could not be imported: 6 devices failed to decrypt']
Do you have the encryption key and passphrase you used to encrypt the volume? You may not be able to import the volume without them.

This older thread deals with the subject:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/recover-encryption-key.16593/

Sty

Dabbler
Woohoo! I used the geli-recovery.key I had saved with no password and it worked.

What's the difference from geli.key and geli-recovery.key? Are they one time only use?

Thanks for the help!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Woohoo! I used the geli-recovery.key I had saved with no password and it worked.

What's the difference from geli.key and geli-recovery.key? Are they one time only use?

Thanks for the help!
I dunno... I'm too scared to encrypt a pool! :D

Glad everything worked out for you!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One is encrypted with the passphrase and the other one isn't, I think. I'm not sure if they're the same or separate keys, you'd have to ask a GELI guru.

Status
Not open for further replies.