SOLVED Breaking my head how to set up the network...

bjdeprez

Cadet
Hi all,

First of all a big shout out to the team behind SCALE (and Truenas as a whole!) - I've been playing around with it (not meaning to be disrespectful!) and I absolutely love it. I have a few Truenas CORE systems up and running so was already a big fan but the fact that SCALE is running on a linux kernel is making it much easier for me (I always had trouble wrapping my head around FreeBSD)!

Now, while setting up a new homelab server and trying to do it the right way this time, the one thing I'm struggling with is networking...

So, I have a system with 2 NICs - eno1 and eno2. I've set up a LAGG interface (in failover mode) called "bond1" so I have redundant links to multiple switches. However, when I set up a VM and use that LAGG interface, it creates these "macvtap" interfaces.
I did some reading on the web and saw a topic on jira (https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-110020) that explained to create an additional "bridge" interface.

But when I do that and create a bridge (br0) that includes my bond1 interface, my network test fails and I temporarily loose access to the bonded interface (on which my GUI is listening).

I must be doing something wrong but cannot find out what :smile:

Can anybody help out or point me in the right direction?

Thanks a ton,
Bernie