BPN-SAS-846TQ limitations?

southwow

Contributor
I'm picking up a used supermicro server (AMD) locally to gut and put my board and controller cards in to give me some more room to grow. It has a BPN-SAS-846TQ backplane rev 3.1 if it matters.

I'm aware that cabling is an ugly nightmare with these, but was wondering if there is anything on-board that would limit the size of the SATA drives I could use, or is it simply a pass-thru?

Anyone using one of these with > 3TB drives?

Thanks in advance!

danb35

Hall of Famer
was wondering if there is anything on-board that would limit the size of the SATA drives I could use, or is it simply a pass-thru?
Just a pass-through. I used an 826TQ with 4 TB disks with no issues.

AVSION

Contributor
Hi @danb35, i have the same backplane and chassis is the BPN-SAS-846TQ REV 3.1 supports SAS3 12Gbps protocol? i'm considering purchasing LSI 9305-24i HBA so in the future i can use SAS3 SSDs will that combination will allow SAS3 Bandwidth?

Thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer
As I said above, AFAIK, that backplane is just a passive pass-through--I wouldn't expect it to limit or interfere with anything. But you'd probably be better off calling Supermicro to confirm.

southwow

Contributor
The backplane doesn't interfere with anything. I'm using 2 of them with WD Red 8TB drives and no issues. Thanks for the replies!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
-TQ and -A backplanes are, for all matters disk compatibility, the same as a cable.