Boot SSD bricked after Nightly Build Updrade

aowe1967

Cadet
Hi,
I have an ssd that has had less than 200 hrs use that died after upgrading to latest nightly build 14 Dec 2022

I upgraded and machine became unresponsive after download and apply. The reboot confirmed that the boot disk was no longer recognised or seen.

Is this a problem that anyone else has seen with this or any other upgrade?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I feel like the details of your system and especially your SSD are critical to this discussion...

aowe1967

Cadet
Absolutely valid point. The system is a Dell Vostro 3rd gen i7 with 8gb ddr3 ram
The now dead ssd is a low cost
Silicon Power 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive

The cost isn't the issue of course more my concern on if this failure was due to something that went wrong during upgrade.
I can't speak for the actual process with greta detail, I simply hit the download and apply went away for a while and on return the system was unresponsive......left for 2 hours and checked with same result.
Rebooted which lead me to realise the ssd was dead

While being quite a cheap brand SSD I should think it would last more than 200 hours in the wild.
The data pool is less than 3TB so read / writes were never excessive as this was just a storage for backed up data

aowe1967

Cadet
Oh importantly
Truenas Scale Bluefin Nightly build.....the upgrade was the lastest

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The reboot confirmed that the boot disk was no longer recognised or seen.
The first thing is to separate symptom and root-cause. Does the SSD work in another machine? What exactly does "not recognized" mean? Do you mean that the system does not boot? Or does the BIOS not recognize the SSD at all?

aowe1967

Cadet
Thanks for this.
Sorry I don't post much if at all.
I should have mentioned I performed certain troubleshooting steps before determining the death of the ssd
1. within the same pc I changed sate and power cables - rebooted - nothing
2. removed and tried in different pc - nothing
3. plugged into an external disk caddie and plugged in multiple pc, linux and mac machines - nothing

not recognised in my context is the system did not boot and bios showed the sata port to be empty

Sorry once again for the trickle of info....