Boot options with no SATA ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim.bishop

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm mulling over a new FreeNAS build and I'm fairly happy with most of the options. The board I'm looking at (Supermicro X11SSM-F) has 8 SATA ports and I intend to use 8 WD red drives, so that doesn't leave any remaining ports for a boot device.

Booting off USB is certainly an option - not ideal, but it'll work. I also have an SSD that I can use too if I could connect it.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I guess a PCI-e device is an obvious choice, either a SATA controller to connect the SSD to, or maybe an M.2 card with a cheap drive on it.

Another alternative is the X11SSH-F with its M.2 connector, but it appears more limited and I expect a PCI-e card would be better albeit less compact.

Any other options I haven't thought of?

sfcredfox

Patron
Booting off USB is certainly an option - not ideal, but it'll work
I've been using mirrored USB drives for many years and it works fine, I don't see anything from the standpoint of a trade off that would make me want to trade a SATA port (if they're limited) for the boot device. You just need to use quality USB devices.

sfcredfox

Patron
NOTE: If you choose to use USB, read the part of the manual that talks about the system data set. You probably want to select a pool to store that data so you aren't writing unnecessarily to your USB devices and burn them out sooner than they should.

tim.bishop

Cadet
NOTE: If you choose to use USB, read the part of the manual that talks about the system data set. You probably want to select a pool to store that data so you aren't writing unnecessarily to your USB devices and burn them out sooner than they should.

Thanks - that's a useful tip. For anyone reading this in the future here's a link to that section of the manual:

http://doc.freenas.org/11/system.html#system-dataset

DJCounter

Dabbler
Tim, a little off-topic but since I am looking to build a system using the same motherboard, I was wondering what RAM you intend using?

tim.bishop

Cadet
Tim, a little off-topic but since I am looking to build a system using the same motherboard, I was wondering what RAM you intend using?

Good question. I've looked at the Supermicro List but I'm having a hard time finding the RAM listed. So I'm thinking I'll just get some from Crucial instead - they claim it's supported, so I'd hope they'll be reasonable about returns if it doesn't work. I've always used Crucial in the past and never had any issues.

Inxsible

Guru
USB is not so bad if you make sure of a few things to do. I have been using the same 8Gb SanDisk Cruzer USB key since more than 3.5 years.

If there's a lack of SATA ports, I would use an USB key

Status
Not open for further replies.