Boot mirroring or Raidz

jedwest

Dabbler
I was just curious how many are mirroring their boot device and and is the mirror ZFS. Also is anyone RAIDZing their boot device. Going to do a reinstall after Dragonfish goes stable and was curious about the best setup for a boot device(s). Thanks!

PhilD13

Patron
I have a boot mirror using the option during setup. You can upgrade from Cobia to Dragonfish without a reinstall.

As far as I know the only "RAID" mode supported for the boot pool is mirroring.

You can also go with a single boot drive, keep a current backup of the config file and if the boot drive fails, reinstall from a usb stick and import the config file. Store any app data on a data pool not the boot pool. Some people have success with that.

There are other unsupported ways of creating a boot pool, but you are on your own to solve any issues.

danb35

Hall of Famer
how many are mirroring their boot device and and is the mirror ZFS.
If you're mirroring it through TrueNAS (as opposed to using a RAID controller), yes, the mirror is ZFS.
is anyone RAIDZing their boot device.
This isn't a possible configuration with TrueNAS, and I can't imagine any reason you'd want to do this.

curious about the best setup for a boot device(s).
The only supported options are (all of) a single device, or (all of) two devices in a ZFS mirror. The latter is more robust, but probably unnecessary in most cases as long as you keep a reasonably up-to-date copy of your config file handy, unless uptime is critical.

Etorix

Wizard
Our Resident Grinch has devised a highly sophisticated setup combining ZFS mirrors and hardware RAID if you really, really, REALLY want to make your boot resilient:

Otherwise, just keeping a copy of the configuration file works.

jedwest

Dabbler
Wow you guys are fast and get to the point. Single boot drive with a backup config it is. Thank yall very much!