bhyve running VMDK/VHDX/VDI possible through VM Wizard?

diode_ee

Cadet
Is it possible to load a VMDK/VHDX/VDI through the VM wizard in 11.3? If not, is it possible to perform this function on the CL using the bhyve command?

I'm attempting to load one of the VM appliances into FreeNAS running Home Assistant which is available for all of the formats listed above. I've tried running through the Wizard steps with each of the files, but I continue to encounter errors. I'm currently testing FreeNAS on VirtualBox while I wait for parts for my FreeNAS build. As if it's not obvious, I'm extremely new to FreeNAS, but I've been playing with it in a VM environment for the last three weeks to test to see if it will work for my application and to help pass the time before additional computer components arrive.

Finally. is it possible to pass a USB to the VM via the Wizard, or is that all CL as well?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to convert the Vbox disk image to raw format first. Possibly one of the Vbox command line tools can do that. If not I know for sure that qemu and accompanying utilities can.
Then you copy the file over to FreeNAS and write it to a ZFS volume of the same size with dd.

I don't know about the USB device, sorry.

Patrick

Spiceman

Dabbler

diode_ee

Cadet
You need to convert the Vbox disk image to raw format first. Possibly one of the Vbox command line tools can do that. If not I know for sure that qemu and accompanying utilities can.
Then you copy the file over to FreeNAS and write it to a ZFS volume of the same size with dd.

I don't know about the USB device, sorry.

Patrick
Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to be able to run Home Assistant as I thought it would be easier, but in order to do that I need to be able to expose the USB Z-Wave stick that I have controlling all of the devices in my house. I'll see if I can do some additional poking around and see if that's a viable solution, or not, and go from there. Thanks again!

That looks really promising. I need to see if that installation allows for plug-ins to be used in the Home Assistant instance. I know that there's also a community plugin as well, but it failed to install when I tried that the other night and I don't think that what's being installed is Home Assistance Core for the plugin which doesn't allow for the use of plug-ins.

I'll continue to do more digging. Thanks again for the two quick responses. I'm looking forward to getting a better understanding with FreeNAS as I continue to explore its capabilities.