Beste practice raidz setup for 12x 8tb dc hc510 disks

noam

Cadet
I recently joined the freenas community and so far I am really happy with freenas. I read about multiple vdevs increasing performance but I would like to know what the best solution for me would be. I have 12x 8tb dc hc510 disks. I looked at mirrored vdevs but the 50% loss in data is too much for me.

I am currently thinking that 3 vdevs with each vdev having 4 disks in raidz1 is the best solution for me. The performance of 3 vdevs would be around 3x times the write and read speed of a single disk (please correct me if I am wrong) and with each vdev having raidz1 it has at least some form of protection.

I have a 10gbit nic so performance is importent but I also want to have at least 65% of my total storage available for use.

Is my solution any good or do you guys suggest something else? please let me know.

Last edited:
If you need performance then its either mirrors, mirrors or failing that mirrors.

If you come to the conclusion that you don't need that level of performance then 2 x 6 disk Z2 vdevs would be my choice.

PS: You might want to tell us what you intend on doing with this system and why it needs this level of performance also what protocol you're planning on using as we could advise better.

noam

Cadet
I am planning to use the freenas server as storage for my unraid server and as general storage for all my projects. I am going to direct connect the freenas to my unraid server with a 10gbit connection. As protocol I think samba is my best choice. I estimate about 10 clients using around 40-80mbps per connection so worst case I use around 800mbps. The disks that I am going to use are the new "wd golds" so I expect reads and writes around 230mb/s from a single disk. I also watch a lot of 4k hdr content on my plex server so that also generates some traffic.

The data on the freenas is not really importent and for my importent data I use amazon glacier as offsite backup.

Last edited: