Best way to sync two servers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug99

Cadet
I've been running freenas at home for over a year and I love it.

Now I want to set up an offsite mirror and would like advice on the best way to do this.

My home server has 2x4TB drives set up in mirror mode. I have built a second server with the same configuration that will be hosted at a friends house. Is this setup overkill?

I want to set up private shares for each person(my friend and myself) and then have them backup to the other machine. So my files will backup to my friends server and his files will backup to my server but each other's private files not be easily accessible to one another.

Best way to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nojohnny101

Wizard
As @pirateghost linked to, replication is the preferred method if you have two ZFS systems as snapshots are included and the ease of setup is unmatched. Read the manual (as linked) and it is fairly straightforward.

NOTE: you'll want to do the initial replication (depending on the size of your dataset) on the same LAN. You can then move the backup server off-site and continue replicating.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
but each other's private files not be easily accessible to one another
What is your definition of "easily accessible"? As others mentioned, replication is the way to go, but anyone with root access to the servers will have access to the files on them. Security and privacy would be provided by the share protection (username and password). If this is ok, then I would have the following:

My system:
My Production Dataset (with my private shares)
My Backup Dataset (not shared, receives friend's data)

Friend system:
Friend Production Dataset (with friend's private shares)
Friend Backup Dataset (not shared, receives my data)

Status
Not open for further replies.