Best prevention practices for a light NAS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

robles

Explorer
Hi, I'm building a Freenas server using all of this forum's info I gathered for about two months. I'd like to share my setup with you and if you will, tell me if I'm doing something wrong (since as cyberjock puts it, I don't want to become another statistic):

Hardware:
HP Microserver Gen8 Intel Pentium G2020T @ 2.50GHz
8 GB Kingston ECC Ram KTH-PL316E/8G
2 2TB Western Digital Red Drives
1 1TB Seagate Barracuda Drive
1 APC Back-UPS 708VA UPS

Setup:
HP Microserver uses iLO as proprietary IPMI, but I managed to buy an advanced licence very cheaply. Installed the latest FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 in a Kingston USB memory and I boot from it. The Microserver comes with a hardware raid which was disabled so FreeNAS ZFS can have direct control.

Storage:
All drives use ZFS, the first two 2TB WD are set up in a mirror and the third 1 TB acts solo. I would've liked to enable deduplication for the second drive, but I don't think 8 GB will cut it.

Configuration:
The email configuration is in place (I can see the test email) and also the UPS service, which shuts down the server after 5 minutes of a blackdown. The SMART service was also on and I left the defaults in place.

Permissions:
There are 3 plugins enabled, each within their own jail. I created a user in FreeNAS for each jail that matches the User ID inside the jail, each user has their own group and they all belong to a group called "downloaders", which is the owner group of /mnt/vault/Downloads (770), the owner user is myuser.

Each jail has its own folder inside Downloads, which the owner user is mouser and the owner group is the jail's user group. So for /mnt/vault/Downloads/Transmission (770), the owner user is myuser and the owner group is transmission.

This way, the jails can read and write from each other, only if the jail's user is part of the group downloaders. I think this approach is safer than setting everything to 777.

Conclusion:
I think this is a solid setup, but I'm no expert on FreeBSD, so please if I'm missing something, I'd love to know it. Cheers!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds like you have a good grasp of the fundamentals. As long as you are saying that the 1TB drive is its own pool and not its own vdev I'd say you have a good setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.