Best practice for handling full /var MD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAkai

Dabbler
Hi!

I've noticed that my /var partition is over 100% full these days.

/var/log is on the .system/syslog zpool, so the main thing taking up space seems to be rrd graphs (especially in the collectd directory).

I have plenty of ram (256GB) and 80 drives so I'm thinking I need to increase the memory size of the md2 device, but was wondering if there was a preferred solution (move /var/db to .system/db like var/log is for .system/syslog/log?) or just editing /conf/base/var/md_size?

Thanks
-S

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You listed nothing about your FreeNAS box that mattered for this, but the best solution is to upgrade to 9.2.1.7 (9.2.1.6 has this change too, but 9.2.1.7 fixes the security vulnerability in Samba) and enable the reporting data to be stored in the .system dataset. That is the long-term fix from iX for this problem.

MrAkai

Dabbler
Thanks for the heads up. I am currently on 9.2.1.5 (was waiting on 7 for the samba fix, now that it's out, I'll schedule the upgrade).

For future reference (aside from, admittedly, stupidly omitting the version # I was running) what else could I have shared that would have mattered? I thought the amount of ram (for increasing of ramdisk) and the # of discs (to illustrate the amount of RRD data being collected) was a good start, but I obviously don't want to waste anyone's time in the future.

Thanks
-S

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your FreeNAS version and hardware would have been helpful.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's better to throw out as much information as you can in the first post. Otherwise the first response will be somthing like "need the following" so you're now 4+ posts into your thread before you even get a response.

And quite often, if I see a thread where no info is provided I just close the browser tab. Not worth my time to respond and they'll be left in the cold. It's nothing personal but as someone with limited resources to devote to helping people I'll help the people that help me help them more than the guy that shows up and say "I can't log into FreeNAS.. help" and that's the entire thread. ;)

norskman

Contributor
I ma getting a similar error :
freenas kernel: pid 75999 (nginx), uid 80 inumber 3106 on /var: filesystem full

I was trying to upgrade from V9.2.1.6 to V9.2.1.7

df /var shows 1% - implying low usage of this partition.

I would love to be able to debug this type of error myself but have no clue. I have googled this - only to show that /var probably is not full
for example /dev is at 100% - I wondered if that was linked?

I know you need to know the setup I have - but was not sure what to post here that would be useful for debug purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.