Best Hard Drive

xames

Patron
I want to replace my 1tb mirror 2 disks with two of 4tb, but i really dont know what to buy on amazon. I have some plex, nextcloud, and now trying some unifi protect homekit docker to see my cams of unifi over truenas plugin.

Any recomendation of brand, rpm, models, etc... i only know that has to be no consumer ones, red plus or something like that but any other information? i really don't need ultra business grad but something durable on years.

thanks.

NugentS

MVP
It doesn't really matter. Every person has their own view on what is reliable / isn't reliable.

Do not use WD Red which are likley to be SMR, you can use WD Red Pro or better
Some Exos drives are cheaper than consumer equivalents

Buy ones with 5 years warranty but they will cost a bit more than ones with 3 years warranty

Etorix

Wizard
I don't really know what to suggest in 4 TB capacity (do manufacturers even still make such small drives in 2022?).

General advice: Avoid SMR drives like the plague. Beware indeed of "consumer", "desktop" drives, which may not be optimal.
Do not restrict yourself to Amazon but shop around (use price engines) and DO look into "enterprise" drives (WD Gold, HGST Ultrastar, Seagate Exos, Toshiba MG) in addition to NAS drives (WD Red Plus/Pro, Seagate Ironwolf, Toshiba N300): "Enterprise" may well end up being cheaper than "NAS"!

As long as the specs are right, the best drive and the recommendation is: "Whatever comes cheaper per TB".

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I can only support the "enterprise drives may be cheaper then NAS one" argument.

One thing to look out for, though, is the timeout for parking the heads. The latter is different from a spin-down! Enterprise drives may have (and my Exos 16 TB certainly do) have a pretty low value. In a true enterprise environment those low value are not a problem; drives are hardly ever idle. But a 5 minute timeout for parking the heads in a home NAS will put considerable strain on the drive.