Best configuration optimized for writing speed

spideraxal

Cadet
~Before reading, known that I do not need an exact answer because real life performance isn't easy to aproximate, just the best tips on how to make the most of my setup.~

Hello everybody,

I currently have TrueNas running on older hardware (i7 970 - Asus P6T WS pro & 28GBs of RAM) with 2 pools: One with older 2x WD Re drives in Stripe (don't care about the data) and the other with 4x WD Red Pro 4TB drives in RaidZ1 (single vdev). I bought an external HBA Card (LSI SAS2008), because I only have 6 internal Satas, together with a 10Gb Asus XG-C100C Card.

The purpose of the NAS is to store large video footage (currently have ~10TB of video material). Because of camera upgrades (HD -> 4K), I am in need of a writing speed increase, for faster ingestion.

My write speeds are somewhere between 290-300 MB/s when copying stuff to the NAS using Windows SMB. I already bought 3x WD Red Pro 16TB drives (they were on sale) and will buy some better CPU+Mobo combo within the next month.

I've been using this setup for ~2 years now, but recently started digging more into ZFS and found out you can attach multiple vdevs to a pool and if the vdevs are distributed correctly, based on their seizes, you can get a performance improvement for your write speed (based on benchmarks I saw posted by users on this forum).

My question is now, what would be the best way to set up my pools and vdevs, for maximum performance?

Thank you in advance.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
What kind of write are we looking at? Sequential or random? File size? Can you be more specific about your use-case?

NugentS

MVP
Also Scale or Core. That Asus is an Aquantia chipset (I think) which I thought was not well supported in Core

Last edited:

sretalla