Best configuration of my 60 Bay Supermicro..?

ben604

Cadet
Hello,

I've inherited a 60 bay Supermicro chassis at work and would like to see if I can use it for near-set/on-set playback of frame based and wrapped 4k - 8k media, while also archiving to LTO and rendering of deliverables in its current hardware state. I believe I might be hitting a bottleneck with the SATA drives, but maybe I'm just building the pool wrong...

I'd need to be able to read at around 1.2GB/s across 4 devices for the project I have in mind.

Chassis:

Spec:
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4
64GB Ram
OS is on SSD
60 x Seagate ST8000NM0105 8TB 7200rpm SATA
1 x Mellanox Connectx-5 Dual 40/100Gb NIC
1 x Mellanox Connectx-4 Dual 10/25/40Gb NIC
FreeNAS

Jumbo frames are enabled on the storage and workstation NICs.

I've got it built currently with 19 Vdevs each containing 3 mirrored drives, giving me 140TBish of usable storage (we need about 100TB for this project).

I've got a Win10 Ent, HP Z840 (dual proc, 128Gb RAM, dual 1080ti, Mellanox Connectx-5 NIC) machine directly connected (at 100Gb!) and can copy large files around the filesystem at 1.4Gb/s, but playback is shoddy of pretty lightweight frame based media. That's via SMB.

Could anyone suggest some optimisations I might make to get some better throughput?

I've got money to spend. Should I look at more RAM for the ARC Cache? SAS Drives?

Any help/opinions are very welcome!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello,

I've inherited a 60 bay Supermicro chassis at work and would like to see if I can use it for near-set/on-set playback of frame based and wrapped 4k - 8k media, while also archiving to LTO and rendering of deliverables in its current hardware state. I believe I might be hitting a bottleneck with the SATA drives, but maybe I'm just building the pool wrong...

I'd need to be able to read at around 1.2GB/s across 4 devices for the project I have in mind.

Chassis:

Spec:
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4
64GB Ram
OS is on SSD
60 x Seagate ST8000NM0105 8TB 7200rpm SATA
1 x Mellanox Connectx-5 Dual 40/100Gb NIC
1 x Mellanox Connectx-4 Dual 10/25/40Gb NIC
FreeNAS

Jumbo frames are enabled on the storage and workstation NICs.

I've got it built currently with 19 Vdevs each containing 3 mirrored drives, giving me 140TBish of usable storage (we need about 100TB for this project).

I've got a Win10 Ent, HP Z840 (dual proc, 128Gb RAM, dual 1080ti, Mellanox Connectx-5 NIC) machine directly connected (at 100Gb!) and can copy large files around the filesystem at 1.4Gb/s, but playback is shoddy of pretty lightweight frame based media. That's via SMB.

Could anyone suggest some optimisations I might make to get some better throughput?

I've got money to spend. Should I look at more RAM for the ARC Cache? SAS Drives?

Any help/opinions are very welcome!
What a beast of a system! I'm green with envy! :smile:
Adding memory is the first thing I would try. 64GiB is probably too little RAM for so much storage.

ben604

Cadet
Cool, I'll double it today and have another look.

Our main storage is 2PB of GPFS on NetApp Chassis. ~67GB/s read write performance...! RDMA over 40Gb interfaces per workstation, so each client can pull ~4.7GB/s.

Not portable enough :grin:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Cool, I'll double it today and have another look.

Our main storage is 2PB of GPFS on NetApp Chassis. ~67GB/s read write performance...! RDMA over 40Gb interfaces per workstation, so each client can pull ~4.7GB/s.

Not portable enough :grin:
If you have the money, why not quadruple it? The more, the better -- as a rule.

I run an older NetApp at work; they're beasts, too. Very expensive and proprietary beasts. Our 6TiB disks, flashed with NetApp's custom firrmware, cost over $3000 apiece. We have 48 of them...