Best App/Method To Backup Apps & Their Configs

panzerscope

Contributor
Hey all,

In preparation of any possible disaster regarding my TrueNas Scale instance. I would like a recommended app or method to effectively allow the backing up of all the installed apps and configurations to allow for easy restore should something go wrong in the future.

Thanks in advance.
P

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't use SCALE nor the Apps, but I'd imagine you could just use ZFS snapshots and ZFS send/receive to your backup target. Of course, this requires another TrueNAS machine. Alternatively, you could probably use rsync, but that definitely won't be as nice as ZFS snapshots.

panzerscope

Contributor
I don't use SCALE nor the Apps, but I'd imagine you could just use ZFS snapshots and ZFS send/receive to your backup target. Of course, this requires another TrueNAS machine. Alternatively, you could probably use rsync, but that definitely won't be as nice as ZFS snapshots.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not have another TrueNas system available for that. I will look through the app repository but last time I looked I could not identify an app that has a "Simple" backup and restore feature for apps and their associated configs, anyone know of one ?

sfatula

Guru
Doesn't downloading the config to your PC also include the apps and their setup (been out for a while and now I don't recall for sure!)? What it does not include is any PVC data if you are using PVC storage in Truecharts apps. I don't use those so downloading the config every month or so is enough for me and I also use HeavyScript which is just a local backup. It also doesn't include app data but that's a different case as that would be the backup of your "tank" pool. For that, I am using Kopia.

I also have notes on every app setup (screen captures) so I can even easily type them in should I ever need to. Literally a few minutes per app in a disaster situation.

LarsR

Guru
I've never played with it but truecharts has velero as an app and the description reads "Velero is a kubernetes-native backup solution" and veleros homepage states "Velero (formerly Heptio Ark) gives you tools to back up and restore your Kubernetes cluster resources and persistent volumes."

NugentS

MVP
A number of ideas from me (and I never heard of Velero)
1. Heavyscript by TrueCharts
2. Don't use PVC's - use Host Path to store both app data and app config (Yeah I know TC say don't do that - but I fundamentally disagree. I only use PVC's when I don't give a damn about the configuration data of the container)
3. Don't use K3S, instead create a VM and use docker compose / portainer
4. Don't use K3S, instead use a Scale Jail (not supported) and use docker compose / portainer

Lastly - please vote for NAS-121499 - a suggestion about backing up container configurations

Whattteva

Wizard
A number of ideas from me (and I never heard of Velero)
1. Heavyscript by TrueCharts
2. Don't use PVC's - use Host Path to store both app data and app config (Yeah I know TC say don't do that - but I fundamentally disagree. I only use PVC's when I don't give a damn about the configuration data of the container)
3. Don't use K3S, instead create a VM and use docker compose / portainer
4. Don't use K3S, instead use a Scale Jail (not supported) and use docker compose / portainer

Lastly - please vote for NAS-121499 - a suggestion about backing up container configurations
These are great ideas. I use a similar but somewhat different variation:
I have a FreeBSD VM as the container host, but instead of Docker use VNET jails + BastilleBSD and instead of Portainer, I use Caddy reverse proxy.

sfatula

Guru
I just use the apps / custom docker containers and they all work fine. Ymmv. Tiny overhead, essentially 0.