Basic setup issue: creating a working Win7 share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xburu7

Cadet
I have just installed FreeNas 9.2.1 release on a system on my home network.

Install seemed to go without a hitch, can access the GUI from my PC and configure.

As a test, I created a volume.

I then went through the procedure as described in the FreeNas users guide to add a CIFS share:

1) Configured anonymous access by creating a 'guest' user account​
2) Associated the guest account with the volume​
3)Created a CIFS share​
4)Configured the CIFS service​
5) and started the CIFS service​
Everything seemed straightforward and I followed instructions exactly, BUT

I cannot see the FreeNas on the network, as it says I should. (from my main PC, running Win 7 Enterprise N).

I have gone through instructions at least 3 times verifying that every configuration in the instructions was implemented.

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot or what an explanation would be? What more information would it be helpful for me to provide?

Addendum: The only part of the instruction that I may not have followed completely/properly was the 'Hosts Allow' addresses. Instructions state to add the network address WITH CIDR MASK.

Is this the same as my 'subnet mask'?

Either way, when I add /255.255.255.0 at the end of the Ipv4 address, I still cannot see FreeNas on the network.

Xburu7

Cadet
OK answering my question at the end here, I believe with my subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 that my CIDR is 24.

When I edit my 'Host Allow' address accordingly, still cannot see/connect through windows network.

More: I can browse to the share in my browser by typing in the network address.

More: I have now been able to map a network drive, can browse to the share volume!

But I cannot copy files to the volume.
'you need permission to perform this action'​

Under 'Users', I can go into user 'Guest' and change 'Home Directory Mode' to enable 'Write', and save that. But when I open it again, it has become unchecked again.

So I guess I am making progress on my own.

The next step is figuring out permissions, alot of posts to look at on that...

More: Is there any link to a simple permissions setup post, or can anyone give an easy answer here? (Is there an easy answer of how to configure the volume/share so that I can write to it?)

I have been trying, following the sticky http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-8-2-permissions-set-up-example-for-dummies.8894/ but despite following the instructions, cannot write to the volume/share yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.