Basic Requirements for Single VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I wanted to pose a few questions that I know will probably be very quick and simple for someone with experience to answer before I sink hours into researching and setting up.

Based on my hardware build below can I:
Install Windows 7 in a VM within a Jail and have it run decently.

My main freenas box is very light usage for file server (basically cold storage as it is accessed only to dump things onto it, 1 user, me) and daily plex (but also light, 2 users max, most times just one usually not transcoding).

I have read that mirrors are required for VMs but do you think I could get by with the specs I have. I don't need something blazing fast, just a windows environment to play around within.

I appreciate the time taken for answering!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Mirrors are recommended for ESXI data stores for the increased IOPS they provide. If you are just experimenting with some VM's you'll be fine with your current storage setup.

As far as installing Windows 7 in a VM that will be dependent upon what you plan on using for your hypervisor. I've had zero luck getting Windows 7 to run in Virtualbox but others have. Bhyve might work but I have no experience with it to offer any help or suggestions.

Dice

Wizard
I have read that mirrors are required for VMs but do you think I could get by with the specs I have. I don't need something blazing fast, just a windows environment to play around within.
That should be just fine.
In the event you don't like the performance you can solve the problem the ZFS-way. AKA - throw more hardware at it.
(Adding a SSD mirror vdev).

Good Luck :)

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks guys. That's encouraging news although bummer about the windows 7 problems.

Why is windows supposedly so difficult if people so easily install Linux it seems with ease? Am I thinking FreeNAS should be able to easily do something it can't or where does the fault lie?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I think it's more of a Virtualbox/FreeBSD issue. Hopefully when FreeNAS 10 goes live virtualization support will be better with bhyve and Docker.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
For one, the hacked up virtualbox is REALLY old.

Virtualbox does not come with a web GUI by default. The plugin is basically, a prepackaged version of phpVirtualbox, which is not an official Oracle project. It is a php web GUI that someone wrote that handles all the command line stuff that Virtual Box can do.

What people tend to demand of the virtualbox plugin is stuff that virtualbox was not really ever intended to do. LOL. I am a huge proponent of using VirtualBox on your desktop to run some test VMs, but I would never want it to be my main hypervisor. EVER. Especially not phpVirtualBox.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Well sounds like waiting for freenas 10 is what I will do.

I really don't have the time now that I'm starting school again and was hoping it would be a relatively easy install but that doesn't seem to be the case (yet).

Thanks everyone!

Dice

Wizard
ESXi......?

nojohnny101

Wizard
@Dice I am completely new to virtualization so while I have seen the term many times in the forums, I'm not sure how it applies in this situation.

Dice

Wizard
@Dice I am completely new to virtualization so while I have seen the term many times in the forums, I'm not sure how it applies in this situation.
Ie, if virtualizing under freenas gives you problems, you could put freenas ontop of ESXi and run a another VM on ESXi doing your playing around thing (and other stuff).
Tbh - I had a lot easier time getting ESXi running and then adding FreeNAS and a windows VM than I've had getting any sort jail-stuff to do what I please in FreeNAS.
The learning curve for setting up an ESXi machine is nothing compared to setting up even the most basic FreeNAS box with proper permissions.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks for the thought. I'll look into it.

Dice

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.