Bad SMB READ performance on FreeNAS 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eraser

Contributor
I ran the NASTester 1.5 tool on my system and saw good speeds, so I think that I will trust the results you posted.

I don't think you need to worry about modifying any socket options. I do not have any customizations like that on my FreeNAS 9.2 system and I am happy with my SMB speeds.

I can't remember, but did you already confirm that your network is healthy by using iperf? Run "iperf -w 128k -s" on the Windows system, and on the FreeNAS system run "iperf -w 128k -c <windows.ip.addr.ess>". You can find a precompiled iperf for Windows by googling for it.

blackbinary

Dabbler
okay, i did what you say:
Code:
Client connecting to maulwurf, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  129 KByte (WARNING: requested  128 KByte)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local 172.20.20.3 port 39198 connected with 172.20.20.11 port 5001
[ ID] Interval      Transfer    Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec  874 MBytes  733 Mbits/sec

The Speed is not Optimal, to other Clients i have up to 900-980Mbit/sec

but i dont realy trust iperf,:
both Tools same clients, MBP -> MacMini :
http://pastebin.com/5PfS9dtH

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd bet dollars to donuts its not an SMB tuning problem. FreeNAS' default SMB settings are amazing on their own. I'm one of those people always telling people to get rid of their "customizations" because the default works just fine. And you know what, for 99% of people I'm right. They've often butchered their own system with customizations without an understanding of what they are doing wrong, then upset at FreeNAS' performance.

I can tell you that your motherboard, RAM and CPU should be capable of dishing out near line-speed over CIFS without breaking a sweat. I've used older systems than yours with lower specs and smoked dual Gb at the same time over CIFS.

Also, considering the fact that you used a log and l2arc despite them actually making things worse for your situation, I think there room to say you've made less than fully informed decisions before so you are likely a "repeat offender" in my book. (no offense)

blackbinary

Dabbler
Also, considering the fact that you used a log and l2arc despite them actually making things worse for your situation, I think there room to say you've made less than fully informed decisions before so you are likely a "repeat offender" in my book. (no offense)

Hey,
I am open for any suggestion. It may be that I had taken the wrong way. However, I have everything so far corrected as you suggested it to me. Unfortunately without success.
I have Dedup completely removed.
I have removed L2ARC.
I have the log away.
I have also updated from 9.1 to 9.2.
The problem is still the same.

I'm just saying that this article describes exactly the same problem - My Firefoy get a speed up to 50 MB/s not the best but more than the normal explorer ever:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-slow-through-explorer-but-ok-through-firefox

In this article is talking about the extra settings for SMB. If that is now wrong, it's also okay for me. I would prefer a "default" solution. But I'm still standing in front of the same problem. SMB read is the only thing that is realy slow.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you get rid of any sysctls, tunables, and other customized settings? Because honestly, if you've done those things then you probably have hardware problems somewhere. Your system should perform just fine with the defaults for everything.

blackbinary

Dabbler
my freenas is a clean new Installation ! i wrote a new USB key.

But how can a Hardware problem only affect SMB? i enable FTP on the NAS and it is all just fine with this protokoll
same with NFS

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Got teamviewer? If so PM me your info(i'll be up for the next 30 mins or so and I'll take a look).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And guess what the problem was?

1. Few autotune tunables to remove. (Made it slightly faster for writes but reads were very broken)
2. Realtek on the desktop! Put in an Intel NIC and 117MB/sec!

This was a weird case though. NFS seems to perform differently than SMB. Mac OSX shell performed differently than Windows drag-n-drop. Even going to the server was different than coming from the server to a ramdisk! All sorts of weird things that suddenly came into focus once we proved it was a network issue. :p

Let this be a lesson to you young-in' whippersnappers... Intel NIC FTW!

eraser

Contributor
Thanks cyberjock for posting back to the thread what the root cause of the problem was!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You're welcome. Normally I've seen that Realteks suck, but not too terribly badly on Windows. In this case, iperf showed a constant 570Mb/sec. It was almost like the NIC was hard coded to never pass that number. We literally hit that number ever time without fail. But file transfers were sometimes going faster than that(talk about confusing!). His NIC just has a special kind of fail in it.

Ultimately though, his desktop NIC was to blame for the whole thing. Not entirely unexpected based on my own experience(I'm full Intel in this house now), but the way in which it sometimes performed decently and sometimes performed poorly was particularly interesting and confusing.

Yaguznal

Explorer
I am having the same problem. Near full line speed (gigabit) at writing to the nas and half of that to read from the nas. Nas has an intel nic and my desktop has realtec.
I find that confusing as it is my realtec chip sending the data at full speed to my nas. Why can it not recieve at the same speed?

My internal read and write speeds are above 400Mb/s when tested with a 100 gig DD. As I am mainly storing movies and raw photographs on my nas, it should be representable for real life usage.

I have no L2ARC, no cusomisations. FTP and SMB show the same behavior so I am almost sertain that it is a hardware/NIC problem. I would just love to have a definitive answer so I can stop breaking my head about this.

@cyberjock: Is it too much trouble to do the same tests on my setup to confirm this? I will setup everything to your liking beforehand so it takes a minimum of your time and efford.

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you want me to troubleshoot your problems, I'll do it. But I won't do it for free. I don't give up my time for stuff like this anymore. If you want to go this route, PM me.

eraser

Contributor
I am having the same problem. Near full line speed (gigabit) at writing to the nas and half of that to read from the nas. Nas has an intel nic and my desktop has realtec.
I find that confusing as it is my realtec chip sending the data at full speed to my nas. Why can it not recieve at the same speed?

Are you running the latest driver for your RealTek NIC? Windows Update doesn't always give you the very latest driver. Sometimes there is a newer driver available directly from the RealTek website : http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

If upgrading your driver doesn't help, then some random thoughts about what you can try changing on your RealTek NIC:
  • Try disabling Ethernet Flow Control.
  • Verify that any "offload" settings are on your NIC are enabled. If they already are, then try disabling the "offload" settings to see if they make a difference.

Or you can spend $30 on an Intel NIC - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm gonna lock this thread.

@eraser - you responded to a thread from 2014. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.