Bacula SD Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
FreeNAS Plugin for Bacula SD (Storage Daemon)

Project URL: https://github.com/williambr/freenas-bacula
Report issues: https://github.com/williambr/freenas-bacula/issues

Versions
Bacula SD 5.2.6_0.1-BETA2

Bacula SD 5.2.6_0.1-BETA1

Changelog
Code:
0.1-BETA2
======================

- Add initial migration
    - Fix service start/stop, there was some logic missing
    - Write rc.conf on bacula start/stop
    - Add delete buttons
    - Fix device assignment edit screen
    - Workaround install environment bug in 8.2.0

0.1-BETA1
======================

- First public release of the plugin for FreeNAS 8.2

Errata
  • Upgrade from 0.1-BETA1 is not supported

Note
Bacula is an open source network backup solution. It is subdevided into:
  • File Deamons (Backup-Clients)
  • Directors (Backup-Server/Catalog?)
  • Storage Daemons (Backend with storage devices attached)

This plugin implements Storage Daemons. It is mostly untested because I dont use bacula :) I've implemented it by users requests.
Bug reports and feedbacks are welcome.

logan54

Explorer
Hello William,

If you implement the Subversion Server, I'll test them ;-)

Ef57uiKnN6

Dabbler
First I want to thank You very much for Your willingness to build a Bacula (Storage Daemon) PBI for FreeNAS. That plugin was the precondition to me for migrating from release 8.0 to 8.2.

I had to replace the bacula-sd binary by an older one (Director is not as recent as Your plugin ;-) but everything else works like a charm! As I'm writing this the eleventh server gets backed up :-D

Thank You!

dominic.wan

Cadet
Thank you for your work on this. I am trying to install the PBI on 8.3 and it installs but I cannot move the slider from off to on. Is there something that I have missed or does the plugin not work for 8.3?

Ef57uiKnN6

Dabbler
It should work with release 8.3. Do You have configured all assets before trying to enable the plug-in?

alz

Cadet
Thanks for your work William, its excellent to see bacula plugin support for FN8.
I have a question if I may.
Are there any plans to create a bacula file daemon plugin as well?
I ask as I want to backup my Freenas data to a separate backup server which is running bacula with an lto tape device.
I have been through the available documentation and as far as I can tell my only option is backup freenas data via mounted NFS shares, however for reasons that are unclear this method is not advised by the bacula team.
They recommend running an instance of the file daemon on all machines with data that requires backup.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Unfortunately there is no plan for the File Daemon, you might use the plugins jail and install/configure it yourself.

alz

Cadet
OK thanks for the response,
I have no idea how to go about installing just the file daemon so will look into it.

Ef57uiKnN6

Dabbler
From a stability point of view I would say Yes.
But there is one thing one has to keep in mind for use in production. The Bacula-Project recommends to use the very same version of Director and Storage Daemon.
For my private environment I used to use the same major releases for the both daemons (My Director is version 5.0.x and I had to install the proper Storage Daemon binaries manually)
There are ideas (see:Multi version support) to solve this issue but at least for me I won't get time for that in the near future. There is just not enough "pressure" to implement a cleaner solution.

Edit:
Unfortunately there is no plan for the File Daemon, you might use the plugins jail and install/configure it yourself.
The logic for assembling the file daemon configuration is the same as used for the storage daemon. With a little motivation one should be able to make a File Daemon PBI based of the Storage Daemon PBI by one-self.

victorxd

Cadet
Hello William! Thanks for your work!
Is there any way i can configure bacula easily? I've never used bacula before but i tried to configure all assets, but its still not working. I think i have a problem with the storage deamon because i can't enter a value to target a volume or something?
If you can help me, it would be great!

ady

Cadet
Thank you for your work on this. I am trying to install the PBI on 8.3 and it installs but I cannot move the slider from off to on. Is there something that I have missed or does the plugin not work for 8.3?

i've encounter the same prob..but then i've check the configuration and i found that i have to put the right path for sd under bacula-storage configuration which is under plugin - bacula storage - storage daemon and restart plugin..solved..!!!;)

panz

Guru
FreeNAS Plugin for Bacula SD (Storage Daemon)
It is mostly untested because I dont use bacula :) I've implemented it by users requests.
Bug reports and feedbacks are welcome.

Just for curiosity, what backup software do you use? :)

harvey

Cadet
Hi @William,
I`m trying to run the bacula-sd-plugin on 9.3 final.
- install the plugin -> it goes to jail
- configure -> bacula-sd.conf is written, bacul-sd ist startet and I see port 9103 LISTEN
- communication from a bacula-dir 7.0.5 fails :-(

Problems:
after adding some FileStorage if you come back the the same page django throws error:
in views.py are some references to "jail", may be this should be "jail_path"?
So I guess your update from Oct, 20th should be extended.

If standard-message=director the "bacula-dir" is not saved, you can change it, but it always comes back to "bacula-dir"

and any chance to port bacula-sd 7.0.5. I saw port of this already to freebsd, but I have no freebas system and knowledge around.
(I compiled it on centos linux, which is my home)

harvey

Cadet
Hi @William Grzybowski

I can confirm, that replacing all "jail=jail" with "jail_path=jail_path" in views.py solves editing problems with the entry "Device"!

Also I hat to tweak ix-bacula-sd a bit, to get MAXIMUM_DEV_CONCURRENT_JOBS as entered in the "devices" configuration written into the config bacula-sd-<port>.conf.
Bye the way, some locations (/etc/bacula-sd-<port>.conf) are now in different locations /usr/pbi/bacula.../etc/bacula-sd-<port>.conf

Some parts like "update_rc" in script bacula go completly wrong, but I could copy bacula and ix-bacula-sd to /etc/rc.d to get this working.

Now I have a running bacula-sd, but the version 5.something is still not working togather with my bacula-dir 7.0.5, so some advance, but no success on that topic yet.

Last edited:
Upgrade the Bacula-SD from FreeNAS 11 to a one supported by my Bacula-Dir which is currently in version 7.0.5 (No idea how to upgrade this in CentOS 7 to the latest release of Bacula.
I have already configured Bacula in CentOS 7, I have been able to install the Client to Linux and Windows computers without a problem. I've honestly hit a wall with the SD part of this. I installed the Bacula-SD plugin from the FreeNAS 11 plugins section and thats as far as I go. I know the client 5.2 for Windows was unable to communicate with the 7.0.5 which is the version of the Bacula-Dir in CentOS right now and I upgraded the Windows Clients and its all working now.
I went to @William Grzybowski project page https://github.com/williambr/freenas-bacula and noticed that his plugins havent been updated in a while.
Anyone knows if the built-in plugin of bacula in FreeNAS works find with 7.0.5 of the Director?
@harvey talks about some steps he took to solve this, anwhere I can read on how to do this? all help is REALLY appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.