Bacula plugin and FreeNAS 11.3-Release

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi All,

Do you know the status of plugins, i.e. what ones are added, removed, deprecated and such?

At one time in the past I could install FreeNAS 11.3 and have Bacula install, I could then add the bacula-sd and bacula-dir so that all three parts of a Bacula server would run in the jail.

Now when I go to install FreeNAS the plug in gone from the iXsystems collection and Community, I can't recall what one it was.

Is there a way to get access to the old plugins or is that a permanent change for all plugins when one is removed? Is there a change log that shows when it was removed?

FWIW I am trying to upgrade to 11.3-u5 to see if Bacula is hiding in there,

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

RegularJoe

Patron
Thanks Samuel! If I would have known that I would have started with 11.2. I assume I can upgrade and keep that jail running on 11.x even if I have TrueNAS Core 12.x?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
There’s a reason plugins don’t carry forward. Bacula may have been abandoned upstream, or had the licensing change to it’s no longer possible for it to be packaged as a plugin. Furthermore, as an 11.2 plugin, FreeBSD 11.2 has been end of life for a long time now, and eventually 12 won’t run 11.2 jails anymore.

In this case, 11.2 jails run on the deprecated warden jail subsystem, which has been abandoned upstream, and no longer receives any development or security support. 11.3 switched to the iocage jail subsystem, which is what 12.x now runs.

I would try to find another backup solution.

RegularJoe

Patron
Once I get to TrueOS Core 12.1 or so and I can run KVM I will have a Linux VM running Bacula. The old 11.2 iocage jail was nice as you could have Bacula-sd, Bacula-fd and Bacula-dir up and running in 5 minutes... Maybe that is a plugin I will have to volunteer to update and maintain.

Bacula is a very complex enterprise system, like TSM, Comvault, NetVault or NetBackup.