Backups via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterFig

Dabbler
Now that my FreeNAS mini is up and running, I'd like to back it up to an external drive connected via usb every week or so, automatically.
  • I plugged in the drive.
  • In the UI, Storage->Volumes->Volume Manager, I named and added a new volume containing only this disk.
  • I can see the new root volume and root dataset in the UI. Away with you, foul Windows file system, or whatever you were!
Now what? Create a dataset underneath called "weeklyBackup"?

And, is there a nifty way to copy all my datasets over?

I am familiar with cron and rsync, which is how I'd do it in a regular filesystem. But I'm sure there is a FreeNAS or ZFS way of doing things...

Thanks!

nojohnny101

Wizard
are you going to be taking this USB drive off-site periodically?

reason I ask is because USB drives are strongly not recommended to be used with FreeNAS because hinders collection of information (SMART status for one) and a USB connection is inherently unstable.

if you have an extra slot in your freenas mini then i would just put it in a spare sata port. if you do that, then you can just use replication (excellent support in freenas) to replicate from one pool to the other internally. if you have a bit of extra cash and want to do it properly, then pick up some cheap hardware, find yourself a friend, store your backup server with said friend, then replicate to it remotely over SSH.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Nothing about ZFS replication depends on the destination being attached to a SATA port; it will work just fine with a USB drive as well.

PeterFig

Dabbler
Are you all referring to, from the GUI, Storage->Periodic Snapshot Tasks coupled with Replication Tasks? If so does that mean I can use the same box for "Remote Hostname"?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.