Backup to FTP SSL server

Heracles

Wizard
You should not work from / or /backup or /username. You must point to somewhere in your pool, in a dataset. You do not want to put any data outside your pool.

adam23450

Contributor
Too much is not better than not enough. 777 is high risk and many system will refuse to work if configured poorly.

Just post the complete path you are using and the actual permission instead of masquerading it under obscure names like /backup.
the path is /backup_copy/user1
The backup_copy permissions are now 755
and the directory user1 is 775

user1 directory is set as user's home directory but there is a problem logging into ssh when it is set as home directory

Heracles

Wizard
the path is /backup_copy/user1

That is wrong. Don't do that. This is outside your pool, pointing to your boot device. You must put your data in your pool :
/mnt/pool/dataset/whatever....

adam23450

Contributor
That is wrong. Don't do that. This is outside your pool, pointing to your boot device. You must put your data in your pool :
/mnt/pool/dataset/whatever....
Only this is a virtual machine with Ubuntu 20.04 installed

Heracles

Wizard
So you have a TrueNAS server, in which you created a Ubuntu server and now you try to do your backups to that Ubuntu ?

Why using TrueNAS if it is not to have it manage and handle the data ?

Still, in Ubuntu, your users directories should not be under /backup. They should be under /home.

Put them back where they are supposed to be first. It will surely works better from there.

adam23450

Contributor
So you have a TrueNAS server, in which you created a Ubuntu server and now you try to do your backups to that Ubuntu ?

Why using TrueNAS if it is not to have it manage and handle the data ?

Still, in Ubuntu, your users directories should not be under /backup. They should be under /home.

Put them back where they are supposed to be first. It will surely works better from there.
This machine is externally accessible. I keep my private computer backups and files directly on truenas.
The user's directory from what I know can be at any place on the disk? As a backup_copy, I have a second virtual disk connected so I can't move this directory there too much

Heracles

Wizard
This machine is externally accessible.

The value stored in your TrueNAS is the actual data and that is why you should keep it safe. Should this data now be in that Ubuntu system, it is now that one that should not be accessible from outside anymore because it is now that one that has the crown jewel.

I keep my private computer backups and files directly on truenas.

Then you should have two completely different and independent backups plans and solutions instead of trying to merge them.

I have a second virtual disk connected

I hope this is poor translation by Google.... Never use any kind of virtual disk with TrueNAS. TrueNAS must always have direct and complete physical control of all its drives.

So now, I recommend you to stop trying to build anything. You need to detail a complete plan.

How many different category of data do you have : private, public, configs, softwares, ...
Where are these data : Windows, Mac, Linux, laptop, in the LAN, from Internet, ....
What volume does that represent ?
How often do they change ?
How these data are used ?
Are they used concurrently by many users at a time ?

Once your needs are defined, a proper solution will be possible.

Example of very different solutions would be :
--Stop having any data client side and start managing everything server side (Ex: Nextcloud)
--Have dedicated backup agents installed on the end devices and have these agents syncing to TrueNAS / Ubuntu
--Have each user do his own business in his own dedicated and isolated environment

But what you are trying to do (have all users interacting in a kind of half-shared infrastructure using custom-built sync and access tools) is surely not the best way to do it,

adam23450

Contributor
The value stored in your TrueNAS is the actual data and that is why you should keep it safe. Should this data now be in that Ubuntu system, it is now that one that should not be accessible from outside anymore because it is now that one that has the crown jewel.

Then you should have two completely different and independent backups plans and solutions instead of trying to merge them.

I hope this is poor translation by Google.... Never use any kind of virtual disk with TrueNAS. TrueNAS must always have direct and complete physical control of all its drives.

So now, I recommend you to stop trying to build anything. You need to detail a complete plan.

How many different category of data do you have : private, public, configs, softwares, ...
Where are these data : Windows, Mac, Linux, laptop, in the LAN, from Internet, ....
What volume does that represent ?
How often do they change ?
How these data are used ?
Are they used concurrently by many users at a time ?

Once your needs are defined, a proper solution will be possible.

Example of very different solutions would be :
--Stop having any data client side and start managing everything server side (Ex: Nextcloud)
--Have dedicated backup agents installed on the end devices and have these agents syncing to TrueNAS / Ubuntu
--Have each user do his own business in his own dedicated and isolated environment

But what you are trying to do (have all users interacting in a kind of half-shared infrastructure using custom-built sync and access tools) is surely not the best way to do it,
The data is on the internet, it is a website that needs a backup. I need to dig a copy once a week.
The machine on the VPS server has the Ubuntu system, the same my virtual machine for which the copy is to be sent is also on Ubuntu. It is on the FreeNAS server. The backup must be made to this folder /backup_copy