Backup software to leverage ZFS features

patmage

Dabbler
Hello, I was looking for suggestions on backup software that would work well with ZFS snapshots and ZFS Send features. Specifically an image based backup of Windows servers. My current method has been to use StorageCraft's ShadowProtect software in combination with their HeadStart Restore functionality and take a daily snapshot of the HeadStart restore and offsite that to another TrueNAS device. This mostly works well enough of getting me something offsite that I could spin up if needed while being fairly efficient bandwidth wise. But I feel it is a bit clunky.

I've seen some mention using Veeam's Reverse Incremental with a retention of 1 as a possible snapshot friendly backup technique. But I believe that only works for VM's and every now and then I still run into physical Windows Servers that I'd like to backup.

For most of my larger clients we usually just go with a Datto device, but there are plenty of smaller clients that balk at those prices. I really like using the TrueNAS Minis as a backup repository in those cases, but would like to find a better way to then efficiently offsite that to another TrueNAS Mini. Using the standard Incremental backups provided by software like ShadowProtect works fine until it does it's retention and creates a monthly image that then needs to be transferred.