Which backup Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argentic

Dabbler
I'm setting a new Backup-System up, the FreeNAS is already running, but I need a software to backup the Clients.
There are many out there, but which have proofed reliable? Which are you using?

My requirements are:
  • For Windows
  • Incremental, but with hard links (space saving of incremental, but the easy of use of full backups :))
  • Notification (preferred via email) at errors
  • Free

I also could use this software to backup my NAS (over a PC) to external drives.
The software would a little extra feature, as far as I know, because I would like to rotate the drives. It would have to use another method to determine the files to backup than solely the archive flag. Otherwise it wouldn't work correctly, right?
If there is a software which supports that too it would be great!

Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I am confused by what you mean 'rotate the drives'.

For client backups, you can use anything that can backup to SMB/NFS share.

I use deltacopy on all my windows machines, and just rsync on all my linux boxes. I have rsync jobs backing up to their own datasets and have snapshots on the datasets.

For Windows, you can just use the built in Windows backups. Not sure what exactly you are looking for.

Argentic

Dabbler
Rotating the drives:
I have two external drives for the NAS backup.
One schema would be:
  • Daily backup, 1 week long on drive 1.
  • Then put it off-site/in a safe and the next week the backups are done on drive 2.
  • Afterwards it goes on with drive 1 and drive 2 is put away.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I'm using Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE for a couple of weeks now to backup my client PCs (2x Windows 8.1, 1x Windows 10) with no trouble so far, but also with not much experience. The main reason I'm using/testing it is to get rid of Acronis TrueImage, which proved to be not reliable for me.

There are no email notifications in Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, but as long the client backup software works o.k ... I'm in the comfortable situation that my (wired) network seems to be stable and my NAS has sufficient free space.

I'm not sure if Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE fits all your remaining needs, but it might be worth a look.
https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html
https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-resources.html

MrToddsFriends

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
  • For Windows
  • Incremental, but with hard links (space saving of incremental, but the easy of use of full backups :))
  • Notification (preferred via email) at errors
  • Free
Arq Backup meets all your requirements other than "Free".

Status
Not open for further replies.