Backup Server with Hot and Cold Storage

mofarocker33

Cadet
Hi there Everyone,
i do want to do my Backup Server on TrueNAS, so i like Linux even when then core Version uses BSD - Who cares...
What i want ist the following thing:
I do have 4x 10TB S-ATA Drives @7200rpm (some Manufacrturere before WD took it)
also i have 4x4TB S-ata Drives @5400 (WD Red)

The Thing is, i want to make 2x Raid z1 Pools with it, but i want them to be Hot and Cold, so i can use all as one Share, but the not often changing Data goes up to the slower ones. Is that possible?

System will be an old i5-4xxx CPU an 32Gb Ram.
And Yes, causing the Main 24/7 is having 64 TB Strorage with Double Parity (Unraid) there might be added more. To not dis Calculate things.

P.s. it should be able to wake Up by WoL and then scripted to shutdown...

Thanks in Advance.

Kind regards,
Mofarocker33

Stux

MVP
You can make two pools.

One pool can have a single RaidZ1 vdev with your 4 10TB drives, the other can have your 4 4TBs, also in RaidZ1.

Scripting to shutdown is easy. WoL is possible, depending on your motherboard/nic

mofarocker33

Cadet
@Stux Yeah i know... But i want it to shine as one Storage on smb... Even when i need to expand it....
1711415293702.png

if needed - there ist the Old z440 HW for Sale... 64Gb RAM -> Just in case of some one need Server Hardware and doesnt care of Power Use...

Stux

MVP
So, you want ZFS to somehow predict that data is not going to change in the future, and write that to one set of drives, and write the data which is going to change in the future to another set of drives?

No, this is not a feature of ZFS or TrueNAS.

Alternatively, you want ZFS to move data after its been written. ZFS never moves data once its written, unless you move the data.

mofarocker33

Cadet
So i will go with Unraid, and Pay for another System Licencense - Cause one Eco System? -> They do it can do stuff too, but ill pay them if TrueNAS is unable to be Hot/Cool...

Stux

MVP
If you want.

I don't personally understand why you care about hot and cold.

I'd just create one pool with two vdevs, and be happy.

And I wouldn't worry about the 5400rpm vdev vs the 7200rpm vdev.

Its a backup server right?

sretalla