Backup plex plugin data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJD

Dabbler
I am currently running Plex plugin 0.9.9.13.525 but having an issue growing my pool here.

So at this point I'm thinking about creating a new pool and manually moving my data. Most data is no problem. I have a full backup of my freenas box but how do I manually backup my plex? I have all the media backed up (the important stuff) but as I share my plex with several family members, it would be ideal not to have to reinvite them and everyone loose their on deck and watched info! How does plex.tv identify differnet plex boxes anyway?

I have googled but every path people say to backup does not exits. So what do I need to backup to keep my friends and database? also How do I restore it after? any special steps or do I simply copy it all over power on the jail and good to go?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am currently running Plex plugin 0.9.9.13.525 but having an issue growing my pool here.

So at this point I'm thinking about creating a new pool and manually moving my data. Most data is no problem. I have a full backup of my freenas box but how do I manually backup my plex? I have all the media backed up (the important stuff) but as I share my plex with several family members, it would be ideal not to have to reinvite them and everyone loose their on deck and watched info! How does plex.tv identify differnet plex boxes anyway?

I have googled but every path people say to backup does not exits. So what do I need to backup to keep my friends and database? also How do I restore it after? any special steps or do I simply copy it all over power on the jail and good to go?
See the solution I propose here
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/7447#change-33574

Reactions: JJD

JJD

Dabbler
Thanks! This I can do!
  • backup your /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata directory
  • delete the plex Jail
  • install the latest plex plugin and add any mountpoints you need
  • restore the /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata directory, making sure the directory is owned by plex (UID=972)
  • start the plugin
So the plexdata directory holds the database and is how plex.tv identifies a plex install?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks! This I can do!
  • backup your /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata directory
  • delete the plex Jail
  • install the latest plex plugin and add any mountpoints you need
  • restore the /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata directory, making sure the directory is owned by plex (UID=972)
  • start the plugin
So the plexdata directory holds the database and is how plex.tv identifies a plex install?
I'm not an expert at plex, but as far as I know, that's the directory plex uses to save everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.