BUILD Backup freenas server. Separate server or as esxi guest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis Reader

Dabbler
I currently have a stable freenas server E3-1230v3/32GB/6x3TB(z2). I've been backing the main zpools using rsync to a remote linux workstation with USB3 ext drive. (which is then stored in fireproof safe when I remember ;-)

I am also in the process of building a esxi server to move plex/myth/ZM jails from the main freenas to esxi host.

In addition to above, I would like to have another freenas to zfs replicate, which will just be used for remote syncs and longer period snapshots.

I'm tempted to guest a freenas instance on the esxi just for the purpose of a backup sync with a couple of striped 8GBs which should be okay redundancy wise. (unless I lose my primary/secondary and external USB3 backup all at the same time.)

Anybody got any recommendations on whether to host backup freenas on esxi OR get some cheapo HP microserver and replace the drives? NB: it will NOT be used for live network access for the other 7-8 machines in my home, or host any jails.

Dice

Wizard

Francis Reader

Dabbler
The backups would not be on the same machine as my main freenas (which is running freenas natively) , but an alternate guested on a esxi host.

Status
Not open for further replies.