Autocreate home directory per Active Directory logged user

kalero

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a FreeNAS box connected to my Active Directory, so if I type getent passwd in the FreeNAS' shell, I get a list with all the users.

Now I want that every user has its own shared home directory, with a specified quota. But there is a problem: there are more than 20000 users. So how could I create the home directory for each user? I mean when a user tries to access the FreeNAS typing, for instance, \\freenas on Windows, it creates its home directory and opens it.

Thanks

Last edited:

kalero

Dabbler
I'm realizing that checking the box "Use as home share", it creates the share but not the directory, so I have to create it manually with mkdir in order the user is able to get access into it. I don't know why it is having that behavior. Any idea? Thanks.

I haven't tried this on a recent version of FreeNAS but in 11.1 to achieve this I would edit the smb4.conf file and add the line:

valid users = @"Domain\somegroup"

replacing the domain with yours and whatever group you wish to target in AD.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I haven't tried this on a recent version of FreeNAS but in 11.1 to achieve this I would edit the smb4.conf file and add the line:

valid users = @"Domain\somegroup"

replacing the domain with yours and whatever group you wish to target in AD.
There's a template option for "HOMES" in the ACL editor. Select it, change the group so that it's domain admins, and apply recursively.

I can't quite get this to work. I've setup the dataset and applied the "HOME" template ACL and added domain admins to the group. I've also created the SMB share and marked it as a home share and although folders are created when users try to connect their permissions don't allow them to access the share.

kalero

Dabbler
Excuse my ignorance. Where is that ACL editor? In the pools permissions I can apply user and group, but I don't see any special option for "HOMES".

thomisus

Dabbler
I'm realizing that checking the box "Use as home share", it creates the share but not the directory, so I have to create it manually with mkdir in order the user is able to get access into it. I don't know why it is having that behavior. Any idea? Thanks.

Make a pool ( /mnt/tank/users ). Set share type to SMB. Now, go to sharing services-> windows share. Add a share and set "Use as home share". Now, set ACL using HOME template, but change owner and group to DOMAIN\Administrator and group DOMAIN\domain users

Make a pool ( /mnt/tank/users ). Set share type to SMB. Now, go to sharing services-> windows share. Add a share and set "Use as home share". Now, set ACL using HOME template, but change owner and group to DOMAIN\Administrator and group DOMAIN\domain users
Thanks, that works. Worth highlighting that you need to add 'DOMAIN\domain users' as an 'ACL ITEM' in addition to setting 'DOMAIN\Administrator' as owner and group.

Now any ideas on how best to quota these users?

thomisus

Dabbler
Thanks, that works. Worth highlighting that you need to add 'DOMAIN\domain users' as an 'ACL ITEM' in addition to setting 'DOMAIN\Administrator' as owner and group.
If you set HOME acl template instead of DEFAULT freenas set the correct ACL ITEMS. You don't need to add 'DOMAIN\domain users' as an 'ACL ITEM' because it sets 'group@' permissions.

Now any ideas on how best to quota these users?
try ixnas:base_user_quota = 100G auxiliary parameters

A more elegant solutions could be child datasets autocreation. I'm trying to solve this as well using auxiliary parameters

ixnas:zfs_auto_homedir = True
ixnas:chown_homedir = True
ixnas:homedir_quota = 100G

but I'm figuring out what's wrong, becuase child datasets aren't created.

If you set HOME acl template instead of DEFAULT freenas set the correct ACL ITEMS. You don't need to add 'DOMAIN\domain users' as an 'ACL ITEM' because it sets 'group@' permissions.
I did that and it didn't work. I had to add 'DOMAIN\domain users' explicitly.

try ixnas:base_user_quota = 100G auxiliary parameters

A more elegant solutions could be child datasets autocreation. I'm trying to solve this as well using auxiliary parameters

ixnas:zfs_auto_homedir = True
ixnas:chown_homedir = True
ixnas:homedir_quota = 100G

but I'm figuring out what's wrong, because child datasets aren't created.
Thanks. Yeah just found @anodos thread about it. https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/configuration-options-for-ixnas.75835/#post-568846

ixnas:zfs_auto_homedir = True is probably not an appropriate setting for an environment with thousands of users.
Yeah I agree, user quotas better deployed here.

thomisus

Dabbler
Is it possible to add in the troubleshooting section of the docs the correct permissions? I think it could help many users.

Thank you!

kalero

Dabbler
Thank you all for your replies. I finally got working the home shares for each domain user.

I just have one question:

How could I achieve that, for instance, the users in the group "DOMAIN\office_supervisors" can see all the home shares? I mean that, at the moment, when a user on Windows goes to, for instance, "\\FREENAS\home", he gets into his home directory, but some specific users, for instance those in the group "DOMAIN\office_supervisors" should be able to see all the home directories, not only the one of that user. How could I achieve that?

Last edited:
You could just create another SMB Share to share out the dataset again giving it another name and then you should be able to connect via "DOMAIN\office_supervisors".

Henning Kessler

Contributor
My Problem seams to that home folder are not created automatically. If I try to access the share form a macOS system I can see the share named after the user which has authenticated but I get an error message as soon as I try to access it. There is an error message in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd:
[2022/03/01 17:57:40.163121, 1] ../../source3/smbd/service.c:669(make_connection_snum)
make_connection_snum: SMB_VFS_CONNECT for service 'tobias' at '/mnt/tank01/shares/SHARENAME/DOMAIN/USERNAME' failed: No such file or directory

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
My Problem seams to that home folder are not created automatically. If I try to access the share form a macOS system I can see the share named after the user which has authenticated but I get an error message as soon as I try to access it. There is an error message in /var/log/samba4/log.smbd:
Depending on context, this may mean that pam_mkhomedir is failing. What's output of testparm -s?

Henning Kessler

Contributor
Hi anodos,

here is the output:
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Weak crypto is allowed
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
aio max threads = 2
allow trusted domains = No