Attempting to remove L2ARC from pool results in lockup.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Tried several times to remove an L2ARC as I didn't want the M.2 SSD taking burn for copying off data so I can wipe/reload the box as I'm concerned that 12-RELEASE is actually less stable than 12RC1...

Box locks up. Have to reboot via IPMI as the thread won't die. Boot ups then have been hit or miss, it'd get so far then reset the box; tried 3 different times; same lock up. After a forced reboot, system would boot up only so far (to different points; once was at the FreeNAS/TrueNAS boot menu just after selection, the other two were after that,) then reset, then boot up normally. I've removed L2ARC many times in the past w/o issue; so not my first rodeo; not sure what the deal is. Ran a scrub, no issues. L2ARC is still there. Left it alone just so I can make sure I have a copy of my data elsewhere at this point as I am losing faith that this is a good release...

=/

jasonsansone

Explorer
FWIW I had same issues. I had to remove the L2ARC device via cli. Worked fine. The GUI never worked.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
That does sound like some weird bug then, not sure why the UI/Middleware would fail, but CLI works. Please open a ticket on jira.ixsystems.com for us to keep track of, and we'll investigate it for 12.0-U1.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Oh, so in the cases it failed with CLI also? That sounds like some bug related to us updating to OpenZFS 2.0... I'll let our OS team know. In meantime, have you filed a ticket? Can we get a debug as well? It may be triggered by something specific in a pool layout, since it appears to not happen 100% of the time.