Attach VLAN to Jail: How ???

Andy McClements

Dabbler
Thanks.

Re. workaround by adding a bridge to each vlan, would you suggest removing the L3 address from the vlan and putting that on the bridge instead, or leave it on the vlan ?

ornias

Wizard
Re. workaround by adding a bridge to each vlan, would you suggest removing the L3 address from the vlan and putting that on the bridge instead, or leave it on the vlan ?
Generally speaking you want the IP's on the bridge when there is a bridge connected....
Look at my screenshots earlier on for an example how I did it (which works)

Kcaj

Contributor
Then when you attach a jail to the desired VLAN all the necessary bridging is autoconfigured.

Interesting, my experience on versions before 11.3 the jails VNET bridges were automatically configured. When I updated my machine to 11.3, the bridges continued to be automatically configured but my jails were still on 11.2, it wasn't until I updated my jails to 11.3 that I had to manually create a bridge with a single VLAN members.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What is inside the jails, 11.2 or 11.3 is of absolutely no concern to the jail management "outside".

Kcaj

Contributor
I don't disagree, though it doesn't auto create the bridges if the jail is also on 11.3 for me. Do you know what the intended behavior is ment to be?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hmmm ... just possibly I am on the wrong track. My jail installations all use the default bridge and the fancy VLAN based setup is only used with VMs - for which every bridge is auto-created. But it would be interesting to compare the jail settings from before your update and after. Probably not possible, anymore?

If possible: iocage get all <jailname>

And then we should compare the interface configuration of an 11.2 and an 11.3 jail ...

Kind regards,
Patrick