ATA status error, new installation on ESXi

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylornate

Dabbler
I installed FreeNAS onto a VM on a fresh install of ESXi 6.0 according to these instructions. It seemed to go fine, and currently seems to be working. However, I am constantly getting this message:

> (ada0:ata0:0:0:0): DSM TRIM. ACB: 06 01 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 01 00
> (ada0:ata0:0:0:0): CAM status: ATA Status Error
> (ada0:ata0:0:0:0): ATA status: 41 (DRDY ERR), error: 10 (IDNF )
> (ada0:ata0:0:0:0): RES: 41 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 01
> (ada0:ata0:0:0:0): Retrying command

ada0 is the FreeNAS boot disc, a virtual disc created in ESXi on a RAID1 mirror of two SSDs, on an LSI 9211-4i in IR mode. I found the guide I followed to be a little vague on exactly how to set up the boot discs, so that is what I ended up doing, and I suspect something about this is wrong and causing the errors. I did some searching but didn't find much.

I did find that ESXi does not support TRIM on virtual discs, so that seemed a likely culprit. I disabled TRIM by adding "vfs.zfs.trim_disable=1" to /etc/sysctl.conf. After a reboot, I'm still getting the errors.

Here is some detailed hardware information on my setup.

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
ada0 is the FreeNAS boot disc, a virtual disc created in ESXi on a RAID1 mirror of two SSDs, on an LSI 9211-4i in IR mode. I found the guide I followed to be a little vague on exactly how to set up the boot discs, so that is what I ended up doing, and I suspect something about this is wrong and causing the errors. I did some searching but didn't find much.
Can you elaborate on the steps you took to create the Virtual Disks? Should be pretty straight forward though, but just double-checking.

Here is a screenshot of my FreeNAS VM settings on ESXi for reference:
upload_2016-10-7_8-46-18.png

taylornate

Dabbler
Were you able to resolve this?

Still unresolved. I pretty much exhausted all effort I could make on my own and I'm still lost. Thanks for the bump.

Can you elaborate on the steps you took to create the Virtual Disks? Should be pretty straight forward though, but just double-checking.

Here is a screenshot of my FreeNAS VM settings on ESXi for reference:
View attachment 14063

Like you I doubt this will lead to a revelation, but I'll post screen shots Sunday night (I'm out of town for the weekend). Meanwhile, if anyone thinks of any other details that would be helpful to post once I am back, go ahead and leave a comment.

Do the errors look to you like a failed TRIM attempt, or could it be something else?

Thanks

Mirfster

Also, note that I run all my VMs as "Version 8" and not "Version 11". This is due to running over version 8 imposes some limitations that you can do via the Client (if I recall correctly). So to avoid any issues I never go above 8.

taylornate

Dabbler
Also, note that I run all my VMs as "Version 8" and not "Version 11". This is due to running over version 8 imposes some limitations that you can do via the Client (if I recall correctly). So to avoid any issues I never go above 8.

Would it be reasonable to migrate to a version 8 VM by giving it an existing boot disk created for a Version 11 VM?

Mirfster

TBH, I am unsure. Maybe if you used VMWare Converter you could, but that would ensue too much work IMHO. Just backup the config, recreate the FreeNAS VM and upload the config.

For reference, when I did mine I set the following stuff during creation of the VM (in no particular order, just from memory)
OS = FreeBSD x64
SCSI Controller = LSI Logic Parallel
Virtual Machine Version = Version 8

taylornate

Dabbler
TBH, I am unsure. Maybe if you used VMWare Converter you could, but that would ensue too much work IMHO. Just backup the config, recreate the FreeNAS VM and upload the config.

For reference, when I did mine I set the following stuff during creation of the VM (in no particular order, just from memory)
OS = FreeBSD x64
SCSI Controller = LSI Logic Parallel
Virtual Machine Version = Version 8

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
IIRC, you will need to run at v11 in order to take advantage of the Docker/VM capabilities in FreeNAS10.

Mirfster

IIRC, you will need to run at v11 in order to take advantage of the Docker/VM capabilities in FreeNAS10.
Didn't know that, thanks for the info. Although I am not sure I would want to run Docker/VM on a Virtualized FreeNAS install. Makes me think of inception a bit too much... ;)

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Didn't know that, thanks for the info. Although I am not sure I would want to run Docker/VM on a Virtualized FreeNAS install. Makes me think of inception a bit too much... ;)
Yeah, certainly a weird nesting situation to avoid, but in some cases it might be beneficial to have docker or a vm running directly on FreeNAS (vs an external VM).

"To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion"

taylornate

Dabbler
I have successfully migrated to a scsi virtual disk for boot media and I expect this will solve the problem. Thanks! I will update the thread when I have a conclusion.

I've decided to stick with vm v. 11 until I identify a specific need to change.

Mirfster

Status
Not open for further replies.