ASUS Vivo PC VM62N - mini PC - Will it freeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramunddal

Cadet
Hi. I'm new to this.

I wonder if i could use ASUS Vivo PC VM62N - mini PC as a one bay freeNAS system. it looks like i can get one for about 200-250 USD.

i would only use it for backups and storage. So i would prefer moderat transfer speeds. right now i have the base model wd mycolud and i wonder if this would be a sgnificant upgrade from that.

specs:
CPU Intel Core i5 (4th Gen) 4210U / 1.7 GHz
Ram 8gb DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM

It supports:
Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11ac

I also have a wd red 4TB that i would like to put in it.

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-vivo-pc-vm62n-mini-pc-core-i5-4210u-1-7-ghz-8-gb-1-tb/specs/

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

Have you researched a bit about FreeNAS?
I would recommend the hardware guide so you get an idea what kind of hardware could be used and then how/why deviate from it.

From my perspective, it would be a pity to use such a nice little box for FreeNAS because I find it not suited for. As a desktop computer it seems to be great, but for a NAS and especially with FreeNAS I wouldn't go for it (unless you have if lying around doing nothing which doesn't seem so).

You have to ask yourself what do you want to build, for which purpose and what are the use cases. Then you can go and select your hardware (and get feedback here).
If you want to go with FreeNAS, read about it before you make your hardware choice (I ended up buying the wrong components the first time! :tongue:).
Otherwise, there are other possible NAS solutions (NAS4Free for example) that could be useful for you (or for the hardware if you already have it), you might consider checking those out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.