first time building home NAS

khill1983

Cadet
My hardware is :
ZOTAC Magnus EN51660T Mini Creator PC

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 192-bit
  • Intel Core i5-9300H (quad-core 2 4 GHz up to 4 1 GHz) processor , 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM ,256 GB SSD VNME
  • Creator ready Gaming Ready 4K Ready VR Ready HDR Ready
  • 4K Ready @ 60 Hz quad-display ready 2 x HDMI 2 0 DisplayPort 1 4 USB Type-C 2 x USB 3 1 (1 Type-C) 4 x USB 3 0
  • WiFi 6 Killer AX1650 Bluetooth 5 Gigabit LAN 2.5Gbps Killer Ethernet
Please I need any expert help and instructions in this matter , and please only provide me with relevant infos and support.
Am building my first time home NAS , ill convert this mini PC to NAS , so ill install the freeNAS software on it , and keep in mind that am paying good money on this to achieve the maximum gigabit wireless speed , able to stream 4k movies to my smart TV , and to backup all my personal data to NAS as my own cloud .
I know that i dont need the NVDIA on it for home NAS , but am buying this since it has WIFI 6 killer Gigabit LAN 2.5Gbps Killer Ethernet , to ensure max wireless speed .
My router is the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 AX11000 Tri-Band 10 Gigabit WiFi Router .
got many 2 Q in here :

1. installing freeNAS on this mini pc keeps running all the hardware in it , including the NVIDA and the wifi 6 killer , so I ensure it keeps operating when I attach it to the router ?
2. if this mini PC is too much for home NAS and I will use a less class one , shall the freeNAS software support the gigabit ethernet connectivity to achieve max speed writing reading over wifi ?

Attachments

• 81vItfc-15L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81vItfc-15L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 141

jayecin

Explorer
1. The wireless card probably wont work out of the box, will require some custom driver work/setup. I wouldnt use wireless for a home NAS, you wont get anywhere near the speeds the motherboard is capable of and it will kill the wireless performance for the rest of your network while doing any sort of data backups/pushes unless you dedicate a separate wireless band just for the NAS. Also most wireless numbers advertised by home networking equipment is just theoretical throughput's and you likely wont see anywhere near those speeds, if you want bandwidth, wired is still the best way to go.
2. That Mini PC really isnt a good NAS box. It doesnt have enough RAM, really 16GB should be the minimum with 32GB being the recommended for home NAS use. The GPU is pointless and should just be removed from the system, the i5-9300H has an iGPU and will be more than enough. It also only has 256GB of storage which is pointless unless you have other hard drives available that you havent mentioned but seeing as that its a pre built mini PC i highly doubt it has room for more storage.

khill1983

Cadet
Thanks a lot for the infos , ill get another box with the recommended specs .
Regarding the wireless speed here , sorry I might be repeating myself , but am getting a lot of misinfos from reading threads , and I might not have delivered my message properly .
Am connecting the box to the router through Gigabit ethernet , and with external Drive box of 16 TB capacity. The FreeNAS software then will convert this system to a wireless access , using the routers 5G band dedicated , to ensure the max wireless speed .
My all concern is that the freeNas software wont recognize the gigabit ethernet cable connection , and actually I might use 2 gigabit ports of the box to double the speed , but all this setup relies on the software recognizing them . The box will combine a vnme SSD of 256 GB aswell to use it as cash to maximize the reading/writing speed ( Qnap NAS has this option this in their boxes ) , but again and again need to know if the free NAS is capable of .
I dont want to buy anything before I make sure that this is gonna work . Any input on this ? Did u get my point clearly ?