Asrock x570M for a new building

bigsub

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I'd like to switching from a machine where I have installed ubuntu server to a truenas solution for my home. I have to change hardware to use ECC ram.
The budget isn't so high, so I'm watching x99 mobo kit on Aliexpress but I've some doubts about product's quality.

So I'm also watching to an asrock x570M pro4 (it has 8 SATA ports) which seems to supports ecc ram (I could buy a Ryzen 3600X).
Could be a valid alternative to more serious hardware?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The main factor is your use-case. Please describe in as much detail as possible, what you want to do.

bigsub

Cadet
The main factor is your use-case. Please describe in as much detail as possible, what you want to do.
I need some nfs and smb shares, nextcloud and the server doesn't work 24/7, I start it with a smart plug when I need it.

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
Keep in mind that Ryzen will require ECC UDIMMs, which are more expensive than RDIMMs.

Just sold one of these cheap X99 Mainboards from Aliexpress - really crappy.

Good quality Supermicro Mainboard with Xeon E5 26xx and RDIMMs Are a great Budget alternative…

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Assuming a lot about performance and capacity requirements (no information provided so far), I would also recommend a used Supermicro board. Don't go for the X8 generation, since the CPUs burn too much power. X9 may be an option, if you have no problem with the Java IPMI; because DDR3 RDIMMs are usually much cheaper than DDR4. Not sure if the X10 boards also work with DDR3, though.

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
used Supermicro X10 (Intel C612) with Broadwell-EP would be my choice as a solid base with a good P/L ratio.
IPMI and PCIe bifurcation (if you want to use NVME drives for IOPS relevant use cases) are also recommended

I went with Asrock Rack X470D4U - nice board, but I'm still hunting for cheap used 2x16GB, or 2x32GB ECC UDIMMs

bigsub

Cadet
used Supermicro X10 (Intel C612) with Broadwell-EP would be my choice as a solid base with a good P/L ratio.
IPMI and PCIe bifurcation (if you want to use NVME drives for IOPS relevant use cases) are also recommended

I went with Asrock Rack X470D4U - nice board, but I'm still hunting for cheap used 2x16GB, or 2x32GB ECC UDIMMs
How much cheap? What is the price for those ram, more or less?

DigitalMinimalist

Contributor
How much cheap? What is the price for those ram, more or less?
I'm based in Europe - DDR4 ECC UDIMM - my estimated target price (good deal):
1x 8GB: 15$ (new around 40$)
1x 16GB: 40$ (new around 70$)
1x 32GB: 80$ (new around 140$)

As I do not want to hunt tow single sticks, I'm looking for a pair - perfect would be Samsung DDR4-2666 (M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
There aren't too many offers and many times it's just single sticks, 8GB, or too expensive

bigsub

Cadet
I'm based in Europe - DDR4 ECC UDIMM - my estimated target price (good deal):
1x 8GB: 15$ (new around 40$)
1x 16GB: 40$ (new around 70$)
1x 32GB: 80$ (new around 140$)

As I do not want to hunt tow single sticks, I'm looking for a pair - perfect would be Samsung DDR4-2666 (M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
There aren't too many offers and many times it's just single sticks, 8GB, or too expensive
Thanks, I'm in EU zone too.