array set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnel

Cadet
Hi,
I have a HP microserver and 2x500GB disks and 3x250GB disks. I'd like to configure these to create a zpool that provides some resiliancy but maximum available disk space.

I'd also like to be able to upgrade the disks in the future to expand the available space.

After doing some reading I think I should create a RAIDZ array using the 500GB disks but I think I need an extra 500GB disk?

I could buy another 500GB disk but I'd rather put that money towards some large disks to upgrade the array in the near future, until then could I create a 500GB stripe from two of the 250GB disks and use this is the 3rd disk in the array, is this likely to cause any problems?

Also, I only have 1GB memory in the machine, is this configuration going to be possible with this little memory or will performance just be slow and how slow?

The server is only for home use so gets very little demand most of the time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
dnel

torrin

1GB is memory is going to be horrible with ZFS. You are probably better off buying a couple of big drives (1TB-3TB) and mirroring them. But you want at least 4GB of RAM to run ZFS. (You can do it with less, but you will pay for it in performance loss.)

dnel

Cadet
I've ordered a 4GB module tonight so should be running on 5GB once it arrives. I've mirrored my drives before but I find it too expensive on available storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.