Are there software setting to help file transfer speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been looking everywhere as to why my data transfer out a 11MB/s. id made sure that all the hardware was capable of one gigabit per second transfer speed. I am not expecting to achive perfect 1GB/s but at least 5ooMB/s. is there some software settings i can configure to get higher speeds?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
11MB/s means you have something working at 100Mb/s speeds and not 1Gb/s speed. Find the switch, cable, nic that isn't capable of 1Gb/s. Getting 1Gb/s transfer speed is very easy and almost all freenas solutions can do this.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You need to actually check them. Use different cables and use iperf from multiple clients on the network to see if the problem is switch, client or freenas.

For example:
start iperf server on freenas and use a client that is connected to your lan and test the network speed. Then start iperf on something other than your freenas server and test the speed from the same client you used the first time with the new server running iperf as a server. Does this make sense? What router/switch are you using? Can you explain your hardware of freenas and your network?

switch is a netgear prosafe gs105ev2
Msi z97i ac lga 1150
hdd are two wd red 3TB
64gb ssd for freenas
16gb of ram

yea start iperf on freenas and test connection to client A
and then start iperf on a different computer and use it to test the connection to client A
Corect?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
yes and some other combinations that help figure out what part is broken.

gpsguy

If you look at the manual for your switch, are both LED's on the corresponding switch ports green?

At a minimum, try reseating all your cables. If one has gigabit ethernet hardware all around, the cabling is usually the culprit. If reseating the cables doesn't fix it, try running a cable directly from a client to the server. You'll need a static IP addresses on both ends for this test.

I looked up your mobo on MSI's website, but don't easily see what kind of NIC you have. If it's a RealCrap NIC, you'd be better off using an Intel Pro/1000 CT. About $30 USD.

sremick

Patron
I had a patch cable once that was supposed to be Cate 5e but was the culprit killing my speeds. Sure enough it failed using a Fluke tester, despite being brand new. I replaced it with another brand and got my gigabit speeds.

To add a little more info here, even a little bit of corrosion on one pin of one connector can ruin your day. Same for a bent contact in a plug. So when you are plugging out and in cables take a look at stuff for a just in case there as well. And if it's a short patch cable just take one to swap it out, cables are too easy and cheap to make to not just do a swap and test. Sometimes things will lite up correctly and still not work right.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
i looked up all the those things and they all say that they support 1Gb/s. this is where i get stuck
Just because the "support" it, doesn't mean they are running at 1GbE. The nice thing about 1GbE is that it can automatically switch to lower speeds if needed. The bad thing about 1GbE is that it can automatically switch to slower speeds.

Check all the link lights to confirm that they have autonegotiated at 1Gbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.