Anyone using U.2 to PCIe Adapters?

jamiejunk

Contributor
We have some older servers where we'd like to utilize some U.2 NVME drives. Our SAS3 backplane doesn't support U.2 NVME drives. We have a lot of unused PCI 8X slots in the machine. So I thought maybe we'd utilize some of the Startech U.2 to PCIe Adapter (https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/pex4sff8639).

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these and or if anyone is using them in production.

rvassar

Guru
I haven't used the PCIe slot adapters, but I have used quite a few U.2 NVMe drives. Make sure you allow for good airflow, and monitor the temps. They can generate quite a bit of heat!

jamiejunk

Contributor
I haven't used the PCIe slot adapters, but I have used quite a few U.2 NVMe drives. Make sure you allow for good airflow, and monitor the temps. They can generate quite a bit of heat!
This is a 2U server. I have four 8X PCI slots all on top of each other. I was hoping to use all four slots. But yeah.. I worry about them being to close together and the airflow.

rvassar

Guru
This is a 2U server. I have four 8X PCI slots all on top of each other. I was hoping to use all four slots. But yeah.. I worry about them being to close together and the airflow.

A 2U server should have pretty aggressive fans. I've only had problems with 2U front BP tight stacking and R&D fans velcro'ed in place, waiting for thermal engineering to catch up. Let's just say my fingerprints needed a couple days to recover... o_O

So I'll suggest the PCIe slot blades have vents, and as long as you're monitoring temps, give it go... :smile: