Anyone successfully connecting Freeness LDAP to Open Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

areis

Dabbler
I'm having limited success connecting a freenas box (9.2.1.5) to OS X (10.9.2) Server (3.1.1) through LDAP.

getent passwd reveals users, but they do not show up in Freenas GUI.
getent group reveals groups, but they do not show up in Freenas GUI.

Any help would be appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What's your hardware for the FreeNAS box?

areis

Dabbler
FreeNAS Mini

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh. Well, definitely not due to inadequate hardware. Don't have any other input.. sorry.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Two reasons came to mind when I asked that question:

1. If he had <8GB(10GB with AD I believe) of RAM it can cause the domain bind to be incomplete or fail. That's why the manual has a mention about more RAM for domains and such. The basic Mini has 16GB of RAM, so that's not likely the problem unless he's about to tell me he has 50k users.
2. If he was using a Realtek NIC that can cause weird network problems. Since you're early on the setup process you may not have encountered those network problems. But again, the Mini comes with Intel NICs, so that's not the problem unless he's about to tell me that he chose to ignore the 2 built-in Intel NICs and added a Realtek.

areis

Dabbler
Less than 10 users at home.
Using the built in Intel NIC.
Easy peasy.

xcom

Contributor
Two reasons came to mind when I asked that question:

1. If he had <8GB(10GB with AD I believe) of RAM it can cause the domain bind to be incomplete or fail. That's why the manual has a mention about more RAM for domains and such. The basic Mini has 16GB of RAM, so that's not likely the problem unless he's about to tell me he has 50k users.
2. If he was using a Realtek NIC that can cause weird network problems. Since you're early on the setup process you may not have encountered those network problems. But again, the Mini comes with Intel NICs, so that's not the problem unless he's about to tell me that he chose to ignore the 2 built-in Intel NICs and added a Realtek.

Makes no sense he said he had a mini and a os x open directory server....
Any how...

Can you post your server logs?

Maybe on a pastebin...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Makes no sense he said he had a mini and a os x open directory server....

No, that's not what he said he had...

I'm having limited success connecting a freenas box (9.2.1.5) to OS X (10.9.2) Server (3.1.1) through LDAP.

He said he has a FreeNAS box. That says nothing about anything except he's running FreeNAS.

If he had said he had a Mini I wouldn't have had to ask my questions...

TheSmoker

Patron
Try to increase the timeout from directory services service from 10 sec to 60 sec. Switch to advanced to be able to see it. Also if you are there check the verbose log check box. It will help us answer more questions later.

Status
Not open for further replies.