Any way to recover files from failed Mirrored Pool - Update

jhc

Dabbler
Hi,

I have three Pools HomeStor1, HomeStor2, HomeStor3 that I'm trying to import following a failure of my Freenas Setup

(Covered here https://www.ixsystems.com/community...k-in-bootloop-after-upload-config-file.86275/)

HomeStor1
Connected a single disk (say DiskA) of HomeStor1 (single mirrored disk) and tried
zpool import -f HomeStor1 and then zpool import -N HomeStor1

Using DiskA

Disk visible, HomeStor1 visible as a pool to import but import causing crashes/ reboots. On reboot, HomeStor 1 listed as offline and I can export/ remove it but will not subsequently import without crashing.

Using DiskB
Disk Visible, HomeStor1 is not visible to import.

Using an Ubuntu LiveUSB (20.04 LTS) I ran SMART tests on both drives, which completed without errors, so the disks appear to be good.

Is there any log or output that I could post that might show what is causing the crashes?

At this point I don’t know what else I can do, would it be possible to image either DiskA or DiskB before trying zpool import -F HomeStor1 ?

Obviously something has gone wrong with the structure of filesystem, but being a single disk (mirrored) the files should still there somewhere.

Is there anything I could use to scan and extract the files, eg. with an NTFS system I could use testdisk or some other file recovery option.

Thanks

J

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For really munged ZFS pools, you'll need something like klennet.

jhc

Dabbler
Thanks

They have an evaluation version that I'll try and see what's salvageable before spending the $299 for a full licence. No refunds (gulp).

John

jhc

Dabbler
Just a quick update.

Between pandemics, work and Homeschooling this has taken quite a while to resolve.

Firstly, I ordered two new drives.

Then I imaged the mirrored drives onto the new drives.

With Testdisk I was able to carve some files from the images, however a large amount of precious photos were not recovered.

An evaluation copy of klennet looked promising, so I bought a year's licence ($399 + Taxes, they don't offer a domestic/ personal licence).

Klennet managed to extract the files from the images to two other drives.

Using Dupeguru, I identified the identical files and set them aside.

I reinstalled Truenas, SMART tested the drives and reconstructed the mirror.

Finally I copied all the files into the pool.

From what I can see all the files have been rescued.

I thank you so much for all your help and patience with this.

John

Last edited: