Another fine mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopfarth

Explorer
Well, I have moved on from networking issues to actual setting up of the array, groups, users, permissions and shares.

I keep thinking that at some point I will find something intuitive, but so far not so much.

Broad strokes plan:

Create a Plex Media Server on the new hardware and all my files from the existing, smaller server to the new array. The old server sits on a windows Homegroup with a shared raid array. There is no domain, or active directory structure.

With new drives in the server, I thought I should run the burnin tests. I have 8 4TB drives for my media array, and a single 120GB SSD to install Jails and Plugins. The order of operations in the install documentation seems to suggest creating new Groups and Users, but I'm not even sure how to make that all integrate with the rest of the system at the house. Do I need to assign a system dataset before I can download and install a shell program? If I do, do I need a user other than root for the operation?

It looks like the drives need to be tested individually and not after they are added to a volume, is that right? Can I run the tests concurrently or do they have to go one at a time?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do I need to assign a system dataset before I can download and install a shell program?
No, but you'd ordinarily want to have at least one pool set up other than the boot pool.
If I do, do I need a user other than root for the operation?
No.
It looks like the drives need to be tested individually and not after they are added to a volume,
Correct.
Can I run the tests concurrently
Yes, using a utility like tmux. See https://wiki.freenas.org/index.php/Uncle_Fester's_Guide#HDD.2FSSD_Validation for some more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.